Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 to V8 conversion tips (electrical debunking)

Stealthwalker95

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR commodore Ute
Hi Sorry if this has been posted heaps but I just need straight forward answers on this
I am looking into converting my VR buick 3800 with V6 T5 to a 5l V8, now Ive got a motor with loom from another VR lined up but it comes with an auto loom and im really hoping theres a way that allows me to modify it to be used on a manual t5 box (can get a v8 one so dont assume im using the current one). am not sure if I get the computer aswell and would like to know if i can plug a manual ecu into a auto loom.
also in regards to the tailshaft will i need to move it with where the gearbox will sit in comparisons to the v6?
all help would be much appreciated.
THANKS! :D

KhaosInc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V8 M5
If you look for the 2 different ecu pin outs it not that hard you only need to change a few pins from memory, I converted a v6 auto loom to v6 manual years ago since I had gotten a vn s1 car to take the manual out of and the loom with it didn't have the same plugs and spent days rooting around trying to figure out the plug near the battery, then it only took a few hours to change the auto over. You might need to get a water proof connector for the speed sensor to Swap that over. Just remember to put the 2 grey wires together near the gear stick inside the car that's the auto selector immobiliser. You might have to extend some wires for the reverse switch too. It also helps to pull all the tape and conduit off and remove the auto plug wires completely and put fresh tape and conduit on it. Just look at the 2 engine wiring diagrams and look for the differences, I did do this about 5/6 years ago, when I changed my v8 over to manual I got everything from a v8 so it was easier, just changed the loom so it didn't run in front of the engine.

It will be a lot easier if you get a VR (v6 or v8) or VS (v8 only) manual ecu, the memcal inside the ecu needs to be v8 but a VR v6 ecu will work as I'm running one in my VR v8 at the moment with a hsv v8 memcal.

Stealthwalker95

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR commodore Ute
I'm running one in my VR v8 at the moment with a hsv v8 memcal.
Thanks a bunch man :) top notch answer!
only have to verify two last things if thats ok is the v8 t5 going to sit exactly the same difference from the diff as the v6 T5? and will i need to change yokes? (just trying to confirm my yes guesses lol)
and finally as ive quoted you above where do I get my Hands on a hsv v8 memcal? :) direction to one is all I need

KhaosInc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V8 M5
On the tail shaft the length from the center uni back to the diff is determined by IRS or live axle suspension, the part from the back of the gear box to the center uni is determined be the gearbox type manual/auto (this is why you can also bolt a rb series engine into a vn/vp/vr with vl parts just mix and match). Yokes should be the same there have been a few people use the same tail shaft from v6 to v8 just used the correct gear box for the engine.

V8 HSV memcal are hard to come by these days, I was just on ebay at the right time. You could try 2INIL8 to see if he can help you but you don't really need it, lots of 304's are making good power without any knock you just need a good tune. Mines kinda for wank factor at the moment. The HSV memcals have knock boards on them but some people try to use v6 knock boards and they don't work.

BottleFedVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0L & 80 Series Landcruiser
Just get a tune done by someone that knows what they are doing with a dyno or,
if you want a tune straight up without having to put it on the dyno ask The 1
as he can do a tune without a dyno and possibly do a HSV tune minus the knock sensor.
You can pm him on this forum.