Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr v8 calais gearbox problem help please

INSAYN

INSAYN
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Calais V8
Hey there guys , just bought a 93 v8 auto calais ,on the trip home i put my foot down hard , it shot up to 120 k pretty quickly then it seemed to go into neutral and rev out , just like the final gear was missing ? im not that mechanically minded but somethings not right here any help would be appreciated

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
take it back, sounds like a fugged auto. Cheapest way is to get a second hand one with low k's and replace it, but i dont think you'll get much change out of a grand to fix it with a reco unit.

INSAYN

INSAYN
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Calais V8
its only done 129 kms , bought 2nd hand privately , it was cheap so not to worried if i have to spend some money on trans , there was receipt in glove box for torque converter lock up and other related trans parts

rocco555

Reaction score
Members Ride
E46 M3
no need to jump to conclusions just yet... has it only happened once or is it continually occuring?

INSAYN

INSAYN
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Calais V8
its happening continually ,checked the fluid level seems to be overfilled , wonder if that could be a problem?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
checked the fluid level seems to be overfilled , wonder if that could be a problem?

Make sure you check the fluid level correctly:

TRANSMISSION FLUID CHECKING PROCEDURE
1. Start engine and drive vehicle for a distance of 24 km, or until transmission normal operating temperature is reached.
NOTE:
As temperature greatly affects transmission fluid levels, this operation must only be carried out with the transmission at normal operating temperature (82 - 94° C). If the vehicle is not at normal operating temperature, and the proper checking procedures are not followed, the result could be a false reading of the fluid level on the dipstick.
2. Park vehicle on level ground.
3. Move gear selector to 'PARK' position.
4. Apply park brake.
5. Let engine idle for 3 minutes with accessories turned off.
6. Lift the locking lever on the red coloured dipstick, remove dipstick and check fluid colour, condition and level.
7. If the fluid level is low, add only enough Dexron® III to bring the level into the “HOT” area.
* Inaccurate fluid level readings will result if checked immediately after the vehicle has been operated under any or all of the following conditions:
a. In high ambient temperatures above 32° C.
b. At sustained high speeds.
c. In heavy city traffic during hot weather.
d. Towing.
e. In commercial use (e.g. taxi).
* If the vehicle has been operated under these conditions, switch the engine off and allow the vehicle to 'cool' for approximately thirty minutes. After the cool-down period, re-start the vehicle and continue from step 2, above.

INSAYN

INSAYN
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Calais V8
Thanks for that , follow the instructions , turns out its way low on fluid , i put in what i had which was a 1.25 litres and its still not reading on dipstick so im guessin this was the problem

INSAYN

INSAYN
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Calais V8
amazing the difference 3 litres of trans fluid made :thumbsup: