Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr v8 how many kms have u done before problems?

greatone

vuss
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
just wanted to know how many kms ppl have done in a vr or vs v8 and what problems they have had?

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
160,000km so far and been reasonably good. Diff went recently - apparently a common problem for V8's with about this many km's. Common faults that all owners experience (including me!!) have been climate control fan amplifier (x2), alternator regulator and CD stacker. Only odd one was a water pump that failed at 100,000km.

geardys

GEARDY
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 v8 ute 5sp
215,000. nothing i know off. the powerstearing rack and maybe the radiator arn't looking too good. only thing i have replaced is the coil and alternator regulator. i think that the water pump has also been replaced.
if you ask me they are a bloody good engine, if treated right and left to be warmed up before the right foot hits the boards!!.

i have known some of them to had rebuilds around 200-280,000kms. and others that have had 2-3 rebuilds !!!! before 280,000! but then again there are others out there that have done 300,000+ and still are going strong. guess it just depends on the driver and how often its serviced.!

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
Water pump at 150,000 and it developed a radiator leak at 160,000 (resoldered tanks $65 all fixed !). I also just replaced the dizzy, rotor button and leads yesterday just for the heck of it. Apart from that (touch wood) it's still going strong.

dinodog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 SS
i have an 94 vr ss 5.0 with only 145000kms and have only just noted that the trans is a bit rough sometimes, but these are good cars, would never own anything else.

C

cubba

ive just brought a vr v8 hsv 5 speed, its done 195000kms, and still goin strong. It had a new radiator done last month. powersteering pump done last november. im going to be putting new valve cover gaskets on this week. they have been known to leak around this time, and later on the rear main crank seal. other than that the car is fine.

E

EZRA

ezra ute

mines dun 180 n she is still goin hard jus recently done the steerin rack n water pump n gearbox is a bit rough butr that was from the previous owner givin her a hard time i rekon

statesman_vs_s1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman Series 1 V6
Good mate of mine has a VS V8 which is the same motor as a VR.
Has 219,000 on the clock and was an ex police car so is BT1 spec.
He gives it a fairly hard time and its on gas too and no troubles to date.
Starts first time everytime, and apart from being heavy on fuel.....
Goes like a dream.

scottr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
230,000 and only had to replace heater core. Other than that its been all good

oops, just realised youre asking about v8's sorry :whistling

T

toolbox1

167000kms New recore radiator, Power steering pump overhauled, Front struts are playing up now, Doors squeak when driving(common i think) hard shifting on the first shift of the day from 1st to 2nd (auto) Rattles, Goes like stink and sounds cool so that makes up for it. :hit: