Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V8 manual exec ecu into auto clubsport

HughesyVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Ute
As the title suggests.

I have a V8 manual exec and I can get my hands on a HSV clubsport but its auto. Obviously I have all the necessary parts for a conversion but I need to know if my ecu will work in the clubby or will it be pointless as I'll lose the better tune?

Please help

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Is the Clubsport a VR?

KhaosInc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V8 M5
if you want to change the clubby to a manual you will need to use your manual ecu and get a hsv memcal with knock board (make sure it's a v8 knock board as the v8 and v6 are different) if you want to keep the hsv tune with knock sensor, if you don't care about knock sensor or hsv tune you can keep the memcal from your exec ecu but you lose knock detection and hsv tune. If you want to keep the clubby auto you will need to use the hsv auto ecu and this will already have a memcal with knock board (if it is still stock)

Holden delivered v8's didn't have knock sensors, hsv v8's had knock sensors so they could up the timing and let the knock detection retard the timing if it pinged. Hsv v8's might of had a different cam too.

HughesyVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Ute
So my ecu with hsv memcal. Would I be able to get mine retuned to have knock board put on?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
In all honesty I would use the stock memcal but get it tuned. Won't have the knock protection but running only 98 will stop it any way. I had to do that in our clubby when my tuner pinched my stock HSV memcal with the knock board.

HughesyVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Ute
How safe is it to run without knock protection? I don't want to kill it. It's cheap but still a HSV

KhaosInc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V8 M5
Knock boards are not something you can easily add to a memcal, as wraith said you should use your stock Holden v8 manual memcal without knock with a reputable proper tune and only use 98 fuel. The memcal from the hsv auto ecu won't work you will have to find one. I was lucky to get a new old stock hsv memcal off eBay last year but it cost me $180. There are a lot of v8's making good numbers without a knock circuit. Don't get a "tuned" chip from eBay it will only give you nightmares.

Last edited:

HughesyVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Ute
Hmmmm...might just leave it auto as its going to remain factory stock everywhere else. I'll just concentrate on building a stroker for the exec. Thanks for all your help anyways guys