Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr v8 missing after 20min of driving

vs hay hauler

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR:
my vr v8 with a hundred problems is missing slightly after 20mins of driving.
error codes as follows 41,59 and 72, have also changed module today no change at all.
41 i think now possibly the hall sensor?
59 auto trans sensor, im thinking this is the problem as it only happens as it gets to full operating temperature, what is strange is the engine light starts to go off and on and the missing goes away. engine light then stays on solid car then drives fine any ideas?????

Last edited:

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Sounds like the dizzy itself, or the hall sensor inside. I would possibly just replace the whole unit. But have you checked the leads and plugs? could simply be one of them too.

DrewW210

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman S2 5.0L
I had almost the exact same problem a while ago. My issue turned out to be a dodgy earth from the ignition module. I also had the same check engine light thing happening as you. Drives smooth when it's on, and bad when it's off. The bad earth was sending my timing out all over the place.

Can't explain the auto trans error though...

aussiepride94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8
ahh could be your leads cuase after 20 min the car is well and trully at operationg temp and that heats the leads thus driving the resistance to electricity up thus cuaseing a miss fire ... the way u can test this is if u get a multy meter and put red on one end of the lead eg spark plug side and black on the other eg dizy side you have to take the lead off the car first ofcourse andd set you multy meter to the omls/amps and the reading should not me higher that 7 to 7.5 PER 30 CM! if its higher they are ####ed and also when they are hotter the resistance goes up so keen that in mind ... those V8s get soo hot in the engine bay lol

HOLDENFAN

Reaction score
yeah its pretty much one of those things that you can get first time or takes you 20 tries to find the problem. As mentioned above, undo all your earths, give them a good cleanup/wd-40, give the contact point a light sand if its convenient. Check all leads, especially if ones getting close to the headers, spark plugs. check all your sensor plugs too and make sure they are nice and clean/no damage to the wires.

It sucks big time when you replace a few sensors and stuff only to find it was a dodgy lead or loose earth.....

vs hay hauler

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
I have got the intake manifold off it at the moment to do oil leaks plus hall sensor inside the distributer, while checking the temp sensor plug and wires i noticed that they have become brittle with heat and age and where exposed on the bottom.Both wires could of been rubbing together? have new sensor to go in there and will redo wiring to plug.Will also do rotor button as it a nightmare to work in the back area of the v8.Coil looks fairly new tried a good spare ignition module the other day made no difference, wires looked OK from what i could see,Are these earthed through bolting to the body? leads look good 10mm topgun.

i hope the hall sensor fixes the code 41 problem with engine light coming on, or maybe another look at the earth wire as DrewW210 said