Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr V8, stuck in est mode and open loop fuel mode.

Portunio

The Gaffa Tape Wizard
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S2 V6
G'day, Ive got a VR V8 Statesman on duel fuel and honestly I'm about ready to burn it.

At the moment it idles like a dog, hunting from 300rpm all the way to about 1200rpm constantly. its worse on gas - more violent and tends to stall as the revs drop back down. its not as bad on petrol - wont stall but hunting is still noticeable. I put a scan tool on it this afternoon and the live data is showing me that the ignition system is running in EST mode all the time and additionally the fuel system is running in open loop mode all the time. My intake air temp aslo seems a little high, but it has been that way as long as I've had the car (and prior to the idling issue occuring). All other live data looks about right and there are no current DTC's. I've done a fair bit of work to it in the last 18 months including; new dizzy, coil, plugs, injectors, ignition module, cleaned out throttle body, set the timing, all new cooling system, new auto trans and a heap more.

Any thoughts as to the idling issue would be appreciated, or why its in est mode or open loop.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
If it's not switching the EST bypass mode and not setting a code that's maybe a PCM fault. If you have a DMM, with a digital tachometer, and can find a wiring diagram (there's a few mirrored around) you might start by checking each of the 4 wires that link the PCM and the ignition module associated with the EST. There'll be a low reference, an rpm input signal, a PCM output signal and a high/low signal to switch the module. (I don't know the colours off the top of my head.)

Was the ignition module new or reco. and do you still have the old one that might be substituted back in?

LPG can be a worry because it means that someone has messed around with the wiring at some point.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
est mode is when the ecu is controlling spark and will happen after around 450 rpm ie engine running.it will also idle in open loop mode not closed loop.ide be checking TPS and map sensors and also checking no fuel is coming out the fuel pressure reg vacuam line and also look at coolant temp in your live data and make sure its stable