Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr v8 t5 abs master/booster for vt brakes

Noakesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN exec wagon v8 VN sv3800 5 speed
So I picked up this vr the other day and the front hubs were rattly and the front discs in rather sorry shape so I decided to go for a vt front brake conversion after having a vn v8 wagon with them before.

So I have already got a hold of some new dba t2 slotted vt rotors, hub rings to center the vt disc on the vr hub, vt calipers etc but I am having trouble deciding which way to go with the master and booster.

I still have the master and booster from my old setup (booster is the same double diaphram v8 as what is currently installed on my vr) but the master from my old setup is a vn 1" and the one on my vr is a 15/16 but the problem there is that the vn 1" master has 3 outlets, 2 on the front end of the master and one on the rear where as in the VR 15/16 with abs, there is only 2 in total one on the front and one on the back. so I dont believe I can use my old master and booster. or can I rig it up some how?

then I considered doing a vs plastic booster with a vt master cylinder and the vs reservior but the booster is alot wider than the origional and I am worried it will foul on the clutch cable where it comes out of the firewall as its already pretty close to the factory booster and also worried it may foul on the rocker cover as again its already close. has anyone pulled this off before?

any help would be greatly appreciated fellas,have to take this thing over rego in a couple weeks.

Last edited:

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
The 3 fitting on vt master are if you don't use ABS at all

The 2 on rear closest to fire wall and front left and right and the one furthest out on it's own is rear and splits down near the diff to left right

When using ABS just block of the lower one where there is 2 and run the higher one to the front section on ABS and rear as as normal to ABS

Also if you use a vt master use a vt resivor as they sit on different angles and a vs resivor on a vt master sits a bit uneven

I thought vr-vs booster where the same ??

Even then the vs-vr are same car so the clutch cable exit will be same on both models and should work fine if the boosters are slightly different

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
And also when using a vt master you need a 10mm spacer between the booster and master

Noakesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok on the vr's current master cylinder, the port that doesnt exist is the front upper one, the single connection on the front of the vr abs master is at the bottom, where as the vn 1" has the same one on the bottom but an extra above is on the side.

could I use the lower one of the two pipes on my vn master instead? that way I wouldnt have to bend any lines it would be a simple bolt on after blocking the higher line.

vr and vs booster are different.

if I can get a vt abs master will that only have the two pipes, one for front and one for rear? would make it easier.

if I have to block a line on the vt master regardless which one I get then I will just use my vn 1" master and block one line on that as I prefer that setup to the vs booster/vt master anyway.

when adapting a vs booster to a vt master you do not need an adapter, you need to unscrew the adjuster bolt from the booster, cut the head off it, put a slit on the end of it to allow you to turn it with a screw driver and re install it at desired length but no deeper than flush with the tube it screws into

355VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR 355 5spd
I used a 4mm aluminium spacer between the VS booster and VT master but you have to shorten the booster adjusting screw so it screws up hard to the booster rod. Also used a VS reservoir, the only modification to this is changing the screw location to hold it on.

Noakesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
it is possible to take that screw out, shorten it by cutting off the head end and screwing it back into the tube then no spacer is necessary

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Arrr I seen a vr last night and your right the vr is a smaller steal one ant not a bigger plastic one like the vs

I'm 99% sure you can block either top or bottom and doesn't matter and as far as I know all VT master have 3 ports and usually one is blocked off