Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr v8 weak spark

Gregoryd28

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vr 5lt
Hi I have replaced ecu chip distributor ignition module had coil tested and all parts bought are brand new car won't start had weak spark took distributor out and there's a small peice of wire in the Hall effect sensor any chance that is the cause

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Im not too sure if it would be causing weak spark, although you seem to have checked or replace just about everything. The HES could be on its way out, and they are susceptible to causing dramas with spark but usually just stop the spark all together.

Id be making sure you're getting fuel, and the battery is charged. Also, make sure you haven't fouled up your plugs.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
What do you notice about the wire?

I'm with 304runner... I haven't really heard about the Hall Effect Sensor giving a weak spark.

When you say you bought everything new... does that mean you have New Dizzy cap, Rotor button and new Ign. Leads?

Is your Immobiliser light turning off when you turn ignition on?

Have you checked for Fault Codes?

Last edited:

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
won't start had weak spark took distributor out and there's a small peice of wire in the Hall effect sensor any chance that is the cause

Hell yeah.

Gregoryd28

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vr 5lt
I have replaced the dizzy again since new cap rotor button new vacuum pipe for map sensor and coolant temp switch and ecu and chip and still only fires up about to run them stops and counties turning over and does it again I've moved dizzy whilst turning over still don't run so confused

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Timing might be out.

Gregoryd28

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vr 5lt
I've double checked the base timing and it's got the 9 link gap from oil pump side and reset the dizzy timing I intitially thought it 180 out but it was on the right stroke someone has suggested clamp the fuel return line and see if that changes so ill give that a try and keep use all updated on how it goes

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Are you checking the base timing in diagnostic mode? In other words, you need to have bridged pins five and six of the ALDL connector, before you try and set the timing. You would have bridged these pins if you had tried to display any diagnostic codes as suggested in a previous post.

Gregoryd28

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vr 5lt
I have Tryed in diagnostic mode also have Tryed advancing and retard through laptop using efi live and changing air fuel mixture and also reset back to factory and ant get it to start I've had a few ppl telling me fuel I've replaced injectors pump and still the same someone told me clamp te return line for fuel I'll give it a try tommorow

I've checked the throttle position sensor through laptop and it don't registar until 13.7% but it was running on that throttle body before changing mains and connecting rod bearings any chance that will cause it since changing the bearings?