Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR/VS door pods!!!

Discussion in 'Car Audio' started by [SIK-GMH], Jul 19, 2006.

1. [SIK-GMH]

[SIK-GMH] New Member

Members Ride:
    1 Immac VN Commodore
    hi guys, just wanting to know if any of use have fitted 6.5inch splits into the 6inch VR/VS door pockets. how the hell did use get them in. ive tryed heating up the plastic and stretching it so i cant fit the speakers in but no luck:bang: . Please help. Cheers [SIK-GMH]

2. Stretchomatic

Stretchomatic New Member

Members Ride:
    86 VL Berlina M5
    they seriously dont fit??? i had no problems with my pioneer 6.5's they went straight in...i think you can get spacers or something that sit in the door.

you are just talking about the plastic, black spacer though arent you?

3. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
    They should fit. 6.5 Inch speakers are the same size as 6 inch speakers. Its just some brands include the speaker cover in their measurements, while others dont.

Are you having issues with the mounting depth or the diameter? What brand and model are they?

4. [SIK-GMH]

[SIK-GMH] New Member

Members Ride:
    1 Immac VN Commodore
    yeah the black plastic pod, but then if i put a spacer on it it will stick to far out and end up touching the actual pocket that covers the speaker.

5. [SIK-GMH]

[SIK-GMH] New Member

Members Ride:
    1 Immac VN Commodore
    hi 1991_vn2nV, yeah just the diameter, the brand of my splits are soundstream.

6. jds303

jds303 New Member

Members Ride:
    V6 VS EXEC S2
    some 6.5" drivers dont fit the standard pods. you may need to cut down the front of the pod so the whole thing is flush with the original mounting flange or cut out the middle section or enlarge the original hole, or all of the above. try using a hacksaw blade and a hot knife tip on a soldering iron. if you need to cut the front face down you will need to put an mdf ring (or similar) to keep it all solid.

7. [SIK-GMH]

[SIK-GMH] New Member

Members Ride:
    1 Immac VN Commodore
    hi jds303, Sounds like a good idea by cutting off front of the pod, will try it tomorrow. thanks guys for the good replies. cheers

8. garfa

garfa New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    or if you want the speakers to sound half decent (which they will not because the plastic will vibrate) is to make your own mdf pods.
    cut out several "donuts" of mdf and then once they have been glued together sand the "face" (the surface where the speaker is to be mounted) on an angle. once the angle and height looks about the same as the stock pod, make a template of the base of the stock pod. then cut the shape out of thinish mdf ang glue and screw (with washers) to the non angled base of the mdf pod.
    now its just trial and error to find the correct angle and height with the door skin. you can even remove the grill of the door skin and cut out the plastic bars if the excursion of the speaker makes the cone hits the skin. just remember to play the speaker if you think its perfect and check and then double check the cone is not hiting anything at max excursion (eg play a bassy song).
    questions?