Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr - Vs Engine loom in VP

DavoVP

Reaction score
hrm, i was sure ecotec's were introduced in the VS not in the VR... time to do some reading......

If you're planning on putting a manual behind it then a reprogramming a VS ecu with the buick's timing and fuel parameters and using a VS loom on the buick engine would be quite doable.
Re pinning the looms for vr to vn/vp is easy i have a thread in the howto section based on putting a VR v6(buick), 4l60e, loom & ecu/pcm into a vn s2 and was pretty simple to get going.

Ok my bad, I was thinking of IRS, With the series two VR's IRS started becoming common.

SO the ecolumps came out from VS on wards.

As I said in my original post I am planing on doing an ecolump conversion and I would like to use the engine loom from the VS with the VS ECU but have the rest of the loom in the car remain VP. And yes I will be running a T5 behind it.

The reason being, I want to give the ecolump the best chance I can to run like it should using all of its sensor's and an ECU capable of supporting them. Im pretty much just over the mange of the buick.....Crappy idle shuddering from time to time etc, Ive pretty much tried everything I can to smooth it out but its a lost cause I think.

Not really related but I have a worked ls2 with a large cam that runs smoother, Not at idle of course !

I have tossed up the idea of doing a full wiring loom swap along with the firewall etc so I can bolt a vr - vs dash into it. But I have already done the interior conversion using the VP firewall and just modifying the original loom and vr - vs dash to suite, So im not to keen on it although I know it would be the best way to go about this.

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
I am going to hijack this thread for a min. where can I find details on VS loom pinout and VP loom pinout.

I am slowly doing a VP restoration and have a VS manual ECU already and will get an ecotec and loom sooner or later for the conversion. have searched these forums but hasn't seen a plain Jane pinout for this conversion?

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok my bad, I was thinking of IRS, With the series two VR's IRS started becoming common.

SO the ecolumps came out from VS on wards.

As I said in my original post I am planing on doing an ecolump conversion and I would like to use the engine loom from the VS with the VS ECU but have the rest of the loom in the car remain VP. And yes I will be running a T5 behind it.

The reason being, I want to give the ecolump the best chance I can to run like it should using all of its sensor's and an ECU capable of supporting them. Im pretty much just over the mange of the buick.....Crappy idle shuddering from time to time etc, Ive pretty much tried everything I can to smooth it out but its a lost cause I think.

Not really related but I have a worked ls2 with a large cam that runs smoother, Not at idle of course !

I have tossed up the idea of doing a full wiring loom swap along with the firewall etc so I can bolt a vr - vs dash into it. But I have already done the interior conversion using the VP firewall and just modifying the original loom and vr - vs dash to suite, So im not to keen on it although I know it would be the best way to go about this.

very hard to get that our unless you are running slightly richer AFR but that's a bad fix for an incurable characteristic of these engine or should I say "manifold', its poor air distribution of the old school manifold which holden decided to stick with rather than upgrading when the yanks released a new manifold design for these engines which was heaps better but unfortunately doesn't fit in holdens because the firewall is in the way.

anyway ecotec is a worthwhile conversion in the VN-VP due to them being slightly lighter than the other models. They absolutely fly with a healthy ecotec. One thing to consider is increasing the diff ratio form 3.08 to 3.45 as that will bring the total ratios close to the getrag coupled with 3.08. As the ecotec torque extends further up the rev range and also broader. So one would want to utilize this and seeing what holden did with the getrag is a good example and something to go by.

DavoVP

Reaction score
I am going to hijack this thread for a min. where can I find details on VS loom pinout and VP loom pinout.

I am slowly doing a VP restoration and have a VS manual ECU already and will get an ecotec and loom sooner or later for the conversion. have searched these forums but hasn't seen a plain Jane pinout for this conversion?

fairly straight forward to put the vr trans in with the loom and ecu, http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...05-vr-ev6-4l60e-into-vn-s2-vp-conversion.html, repin some of the connectors, reroute the speedo drive, add pwr/eco button and disable vats in the ecu.

JXW's link seems to give a good explanation of what to do with the auto slush box loom, But Im assuming you may be able to just plug it in, But I wouldn't try it until I know for sure.

Edit : After another read of the thread it seems he is able to just plug it all in, The only real mod is for the auto trans loom. Hopefully JXW will return to to thread and comment on this for us !

Do you have a VP manual and a VS manual with the electrical schematic's handy ? If so you should be able to compare the pinouts on the ECU plugs .

I will be looking into this my self when I get a spare moment !

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes I have schematics for both but they don't show the plugs that interfaces the ECU loom to the main loom. I have heard that they just plug up but yeah that will have bad consequences if its wrong.

Bugger it, I'll just ask greenfoam.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
There is slight differences between the engine harness to the dash plug, it will plug in but will need some pins moved, as suspected it could end badly if you were to simply plug it in without moving pins.... i didn't go into to much depth in that howto as the images gave a visual representation of what wires go where.

Hopefully the attached image explains it better, the connector is YB62

The top VR one shows the pinout, what ecu pin it connects to and what it does.

The bottom one is the VN pinout, "nc" means it had no connection after i got to the loom andchanges were made to line up the 2 looms to be correct (the labels above and below in the bottom YB62 image indicate what the pin was used for in the VN/VP, so things like the park/neutral switch are no longer used and left blank, VSS signal wire is moved to match the correct ecu pin to drive the speedo etc)

What used to be the trans temp sensor is now used for the pwr/eco button, i cut the wire near the shifter and wired it to the switch (irrelevant for a manual conversion), it went to the correct pin so it was easy to sort out.

vr ecu pinout.jpg

If i get time i'll try to work the same thing out for VS manual into VN/VP

Last edited:

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
no thread jack intended but do you have the vn ecu pinout? cheers man

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score