Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr-vs front struts into vp?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
^^ Yep, it's not the bits that can be bolted in that are the issue, the strut tower is in the wrong position.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The strut towers must be closer together and further forward than the VR/VS for it to have affected the camber and caster like that.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Yep that's exactly the problem.

The VB-VP only have a small hole with a lip so repositioning the shocker backwards with the method i used won't work with the design of the top plate and rubber (VR-VY strut bearing are better and less prone to destruction being the only reason i went that route) It does corner really well though but is feathering the tires in <1000 km's of driving.

Really need to fork out for VN/VP aftermarket strut tops with the correct diameter hole to suit VR-VY shocks but they're pricey if anyone was thinking about doing this the easy way.

IRON8

Let It Rip
Reaction score
Members Ride
'VTank SS , VG/VR Ute
uploadfromtaptalk1392670625129.jpg

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5035A using Tapatalk

VP-57-TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive series 2
Unfortunately it's not that simple. The VR uses a different length lower control arm which would widen the track and you can't just bolt a VR strut/hub in place of the VP strut as the VP uses a taper fit balljoint stud and the VR doesn't.

Couldn't you just replace the lower ball joint in the vp lower arm with one to suit a vr so you wouldn't need to change the length of the arm or track?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Possible if you can find the right ball joint.

Another option would be to use the later VX-VY hubs as I believe they went back to a taper fit ball joint. Not sure if it's dimension-ally the same though.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
To change from VP to VR/VS......The control arm needs to be changed from VP to VR/VS......The VP has a long tapered end to the balljoint and is held at the base of the strut assembley, via a large nut....The VR/VS balljoint is short and is held via a nut and bolt at the base of the stub axle.

The VP stub axle is part of the strut assembley, where the VR/VS one seperates from the strut.

VP bearing plates are held in by 3 nuts....VR/VS have 1 big nut, which holds it through the strut tower....So the strut tower needs modifying in the VP to accommodate the VR/VS strut

Not sure whether it's worth the head aches

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The problem is the VR/VS control arm is longer than the earlier models so that stuffs up a whole lot of other ****.

I'm fairly sure from VX onward they went back to using a tapered balljoint like the earlier models. That would be the better route if you were keen on this mod.