Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VR/VS/VT/VX/VY/VZ] Everything to know about ALDL Diagnostic Cables

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Can you show how to read the bcm for a radio code and remote key security code as well as get rid of the air bag and service notice.....I am told that v4 regulation has limits and only the pro can be used to full value such as unlimited defect codes ....I not tried tuner pro or the other software you mentioned I mainly interested in v6 vt ....so if you have some links can you post them here please....ty phil
Gday Phil,

Really those sort of functions (find BCM key ect) are used only by scantools. Youd need to have a good idea about how to reverse engineer the responses from a scantool to figure out how it does them. But reading/clearing faults can easily be done using EFILive/Tuner Pro, or even OSE tool if you manually read/send frames.

Id suggest try using tuner pro! Just have to pick up an ADX for your VT V6 from pcmhacking.net, then away you go.
Or you can learn to manually read/write farmes using OSE tool but thats relly only for experienced users since it looks like the matrix until you keep at it.

As for the airbag light, fairly certain you can do that in EFILive,tunerpro(with the right knowledge) and OSETool (again have a look over at pcmhacking.net).

looks like $80 on ebay
Just a warning guys, It you pay anything over $70, your paying too much.
Ive had a few people tell me that the cable thats $80, doesnt even look like the one in the picture.. which to me.. is pretty dodgy.

Hey gy=uys, is there anything like this around for VN/VP?
Ah there was a cable on ebay for them for $129 or something like that, only heard good things about that one.. pricey but seems to be a sturdy cable.
I recently made a cable up to use on a mates VN, although havent had time to test it out yet!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hi Mate,

It's a decent write-up. I would recommend those interested in an ALDL cable to purchase it directly from the guys at PCMhack. Their product is fully tested and comes with a great service backup.

Cheers

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hi Mate,

It's a decent write-up. I would recommend those interested in an ALDL cable to purchase it directly from the guys at PCMhack. Their product is fully tested and comes with a great service backup.

Cheers
Yeah I personally own one of VL's cables as well from pcmhacking.net and it is a quality unit. Hence it's in the recommended cables list

codeunknown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Commodore EXE 1999 with vx 3.8/auto
Thanks for the replies. I guess the tech2 is a little expensive for my use. The option with finding the code for the radio if original is Holden.....10_20 bucks and a registered car , drivers license, your rego papers......or option 2 contact the maker and pay a 25 buck fee supply model number,serial number, drivers license and get a code......as for the remote security key option 1 Holden...hold on to ya wallet....or Mr minute who can read a working unit to obtain the code...dead key remote you need holden , so keep them battery's working and keep the key buttons sealed and the key sealed.....or else.... I going to try both efilive and tuner pro.....and maybe the other software you have mentioned. I like to pick up a pro version if efilive v4 , I seen them rarely for sale on eBay and gum tree....brand new at 199 bucks.....is a but steep....maybe a 2nd hand tech2 might be OK.....:) I asked on efilive site as advised from here....see what i can learn

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Thanks for the replies. I guess the tech2 is a little expensive for my use. The option with finding the code for the radio if original is Holden.....10_20 bucks and a registered car , drivers license, your rego papers......or option 2 contact the maker and pay a 25 buck fee supply model number,serial number, drivers license and get a code......as for the remote security key option 1 Holden...hold on to ya wallet....or Mr minute who can read a working unit to obtain the code...dead key remote you need holden , so keep them battery's working and keep the key buttons sealed and the key sealed.....or else.... I going to try both efilive and tuner pro.....and maybe the other software you have mentioned. I like to pick up a pro version if efilive v4 , I seen them rarely for sale on eBay and gum tree....brand new at 199 bucks.....is a but steep....maybe a 2nd hand tech2 might be OK.....:) I asked on efilive site as advised from here....see what i can learn

Radio code can be pulled from an online source if you grab the top code and send through to "radio classics" or something like that.. ill have to look up the name again! COsts about $5 per radio to get a code.

And your best bet for the code is Mr minute since they will just tell you the code when you get another done.. which I can say is well worth it.
Holden sometimes gives you the key code if you verify you own the car.. and assuming the BCM is the original one.

Also, completely up to you whether you want the pro version of efilive v4, but Iv found it perfectly fine using the evaluation version. Also Tuner pro does all the sames things.. except is 100% free and can be customized/edited.

Id be carefully with the second hand tech2's. They can have dodgy VCI modules, connectors and the candi module might not work. Its a luck of the draw type thing. I got a dodgy VCI module.. but have kinda rigged it to keep working.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Which Holden Commodore models use ALDL?
All VR/VS/VT/VX/VY/VZ (All Engine, body and transmission types!)

VR and VS use 160 baud.
And VT/VX/VY/VZ use 8192 baud. (the baud is the speed at which communication is happening!)

Which models can view LIVE engine data AND Faults?
VR/VS (V6 & V8)
VT (V6, and Series1 V8’s)
VX (V6 only)
VY (V6 only)

Available ALDL engine/tuning data software
My main recommended choices are:
OSE Enhanced tool
Efilive v4
Tuner Pro
winALDL (for 160 baud (VR/VS) only)

Almost but slightly out.

VN/VP were 160 baud
VR onwards is 8192 baud

winALDL will only work on VN/VP 808's

Hey gy=uys, is there anything like this around for VN/VP?

Yes the typical vr-vy cable will work on vn/vp but obviously you don't have the obdII plug, you can easily swipe one of these plugs from a wrecker and wire it in.
I have an obdII plug with about 5cm of wire hanging from it and small spade terminals that I push into vn/vp diagnostic plugs when i need to look at them which works quite well, the wires are color coded to match what they need to plug into so it's a 5 second job to hook up when needed.

Last edited:

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Ahh woops! I got muddled up! Got a bit ahead of myself when writing it up. Cheers for that, I'll update that now.

Also, I would have thought the 12v power that the ALDL comms uses in VN/VP would fry a standard aldl cable since there are only designed for 4.4ish volts which is found on the VR-VZ comms line.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Most of the cables main chip is low voltage, should have a 5v reg in the circuit somewhere (some circuits I've seen iirc are powerd from the pc not the car)