Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 215i Brake Calipers onto stock VR Caprice rotors with 15 inch wheels? URGENT!

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
Hi everyone,

Got a bit of a predicament, I'm not satisfied with the stock brakes that came on the VR Caprice, I have the option to purchase a full package HSV Senator 215i brake system, but will the 330mm brakes fit over the stock 15 inch wheels?

If not, is it possible to only use the HSV twin piston callipers on the stock sized caprice rotors? or am I forced to use both the 330mm brake rotors with them?

Advice is greatly appreciated as I have the option to buy at the moment, and will need to make a decision likely today to avoid wasting the guys time.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Fairly sure you need 18's to clear the 330mm rotors, but I'm sure you can run a smaller disc with the same caliper but don't quote me on that! Markovr needs to chime in here he'll know! How much is the whole set up? I it just fronts? What about the master cylinder?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Hi everyone,

Got a bit of a predicament, I'm not satisfied with the stock brakes that came on the VR Caprice, I have the option to purchase a full package HSV Senator 215i brake system, but will the 330mm brakes fit over the stock 15 inch wheels?

If not, is it possible to only use the HSV twin piston callipers on the stock sized caprice rotors? or am I forced to use both the 330mm brake rotors with them?

Advice is greatly appreciated as I have the option to buy at the moment, and will need to make a decision likely today to avoid wasting the guys time.
330 divided by 25.4 = 13 .. That's the rotor diameter so you have a under a inch each side of it to fit calipers .... So it's easy to work out under 15 inch wheels you have no chance of them fitting .
Brakes are poor on vr/ s to cope with any spirited driving... The only real cost friendly option you have to keep your wheels is vt or ve style front brake setup .

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
Thanks for the advice so far :)

I noticed the regular HSV models have vented rear rotors which are a bit wider, the stock Caprice has 10mm wide solid rear rotors while the HSV models have 20mm vented (all base models incl Clubsport). I thought they used the same calipers as the VS SS and my car? Anyone know how they fit the extra 1cm into the existing calipers?

Would there have been modifications to the stock calipers, hence needing clubsport rear brake calipers to fit the vented rotors?

As 330mm seems a bit big for the front to keep the stock wheels, VT fronts may be the best way to go, but the rear will still need some sort of upgrade.

Anyone know what would be required to fit the stock HSV vented rear rotors onto the VR caprice?

Also if using VT fronts and HSV vented rears, would I need to swap the caprices brake master cylinder with one from a HSV model? Would the booster also need changing?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Also if using VT fronts and HSV vented rears, would I need to swap the caprices brake master cylinder with one from a HSV model? Would the booster also need changing?

Just the master or you'll be back to spongy square one. To fit the booster you'll need to do some fab work (assuming VT).

All Commodore brakes are under-provisioned IMO but VS brakes were a pretty reasonable improvement (booster, master and caliper were changed) over VR which uses the same as VN-VP. The trick is to get some decent rotors and pads on them.

As above you won't fit 15's over 330mm, the HSV setups in the VS were designed around 17" rims.

VT upgrades are the best alternative (the VE upgrades have some serious issues) but again you won't get your rims back over them.

Last edited:

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
Cheers for the info :)

Do you know whether the VR series clubsports came out with a larger master cylinder that I could potentially fit, without having to swap the entire VS system over, or muck about with the VT one?

In terms of the VT master cylinder fab work, is it just the mounting holes need filling and re-drilling or is there more to it? I have a good engineer who can likely help out to do this kind of work, but if the VR series clubsport / senator (185i) came out with a better master that goes straight on, clearly I'd be better off going that route.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Pretty sure the VR clubby just had the 'V8' setup, which is dual diaphragm and was nothing special. I'd rate the VS stock booster/master over any model prior. With the VT upgrade you only need the master, the booster isn't necessary more so desirable. It would require a bracket between the FW and booster to mount.

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
Sweet thanks, I think it might be best to go with the VT system for master cylinder / booster and front brakes.

In regards to the rear brakes, any idea how HSV managed to get 20mm vented discs around a rear brake calliper designed for 10mm non ventilated?

I think upgrading the rears to ventilated versions would be enough, but most people have said the brake callipers used were the same as the regular V8. Are the rear callipers modified somehow on the HSV's to allow the extra 10mm? or do the callipers already have enough travel remaining to accept 20mm ventilated discs without change?

Reading up it says that the base model HSV's had 280mm x 20mm ventilated rear discs, compared to my car which has 279mm x 10.7mm solid rear discs. I'm assuming the pads were a tiny bit bigger to accept the extra 1mm, but how did they get an extra 10mm width out of the calliper? Thinner brake pads? Enough gap remaining from factory? or is there some difference in them between the stock and hsv versions?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
215i brakes fit over some 16" rims, and definitely over 17s. All running from standard master n booster.

The rears have fins on the calipers for cooling and are wider from memory. the hsv pads are wider than standard, but u can run standard pads in the hsv calipers, if u get stuck.

All talking from experience. Imho, grab the upgraded package :)

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
What about the stock clubsport 185i rear brake callipers? Any idea how they manage to run the 280mm x 20mm ventilated rotors? Did Holden use the front ventilated v8 callipers on the rear for the 185i or are they different callipers?

I'm going to have to give the bigger HSV package a miss and mix and match my own to suit the 15 inch rims, hence finding out what is going on with the 185i rear callipers as a potential upgrade now.

My idea is to keep the car as standard looking as possible, while tweaking some things Holden did poorly on, the brakes being one major area. Had hoped to use HSV parts, but I'm not too keen on using 17 inch rims, it takes away from the original stock look.