Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 3.8 eco Fuel Fumes

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2 Ute Manual
Ok, so the vs is still running what i guess to be rich (excessive fuel smell after about 5 mins)

Wondering what it could be;
1. My ecu coolant temp sender is faulty (lets it get to the hot line before even turning on the thermo on low assuming choke stays on, wired in manual switch for thermo), replacing anyway.
2. My o2 sensors need to be replaced?
3. Fuel leak other than the breather lines on the tank or in the engine? No leaks that i can see idling or under load.

I'm lost for what else it could be (no error codes other then 12 reading ok) and im sick of the smell and the excessive fuel use (not as bad as it used to be now sitting about 450 - 500 to a tank)

YES i tried the search feature and nothing matches my question -.-

Edit - Im going to have it dyno tuned to see what its running at before my next few upgrades (hrr, bigger throttle body, any other suggestion, already have big mouth ss induction, assuming a chip from chiptourqe, extractors and 2.5 exhaust, bigger rad, manual conversion, not wanting to do the cam, and eventually a raptor kit)

Document1_Page_4_Image_0002.jpg

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
Check fuel pressure regulator. After a drive take the thin vacuum line off the back of it (the one going into the plenum chamber) and see if there's any fuel in there, it should be bone dry.

In my old vs the thing was stuffed and fuel was being sucked into the plenum chamber (and effectively cleaning half of it lol)ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377586740.262400.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1377587126.670260.jpg

I used to get **** economy and fuel smells, even after replacing o2 sensors, plugs, leads, coolant temp sensor and sender, and getting the injectors tested and giving them an ultrasonic clean, they were all fine.

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
So mine had an even brown sludge mostly everywhere, was similar to yours but only a tiny bit, I'll upload some pics of after I wiped it all dry and went for a blocky, there was only a tiny bit of wetness there, nothing extreme, but from the center, not the vacuum hoses.

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
So mine had an even brown sludge mostly everywhere, was similar to yours but only a tiny bit, I'll upload some pics of after I wiped it all dry and went for a blocky, there was only a tiny bit of wetness there, nothing extreme, but from the center, not the vacuum hoses.

You mean to say from the inside of the hose or from the inside of the fuel pressure regulator where you took the vacuum hose off was wet?

In either case, I've been informed that it should be bone dry. Best to have another more experienced member confirm that though.

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
DSCF2847.jpgDSCF2846.jpgDSCF2845.jpg

This is what it looked like, you can see on the flat bit there is a bit of brown stuff, but at the back where the breather hose is there is nothing.

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
So that brown fluid coming out of th PCV, is this bad? edit - sorry i answered it myself.

But still there was no other wetness in the plenum, and still a prevading smell of fuel (i did notice when i first took the plenum cover off it did smell quite fuelly in there)

Btw this is what it looked like before i wiped it out.

Attachments

• dirty.jpg
    dirty.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 319

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
So that brown fluid coming out of th PCV, is this bad? edit - sorry i answered it myself.

But still there was no other wetness in the plenum, and still a prevading smell of fuel (i did notice when i first took the plenum cover off it did smell quite fuelly in there)

Btw this is what it looked like before i wiped it out.

Yeah mine had a really strong fuel smell as well, and that's pretty clean for a plenum chamber! Looks similar to mine.

Unfortunately I can't tell you if the fuel pressure regulator was responsible for all this, that was just my best guess when putting 2 and 2 together. The day before I was gonna buy the replacement part, the car was written off, so I never replaced it lol. My half clean plenum will remain a mystery forever.

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
The top 3 pictures are after i wiped it out, the second picture is what it looked like after i first opend it.

i guess im going to have to just fiddle until it goes away or someone has any ideas, next week ill be getting the new ecu coolant temp sender, and o2 sensors.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The PCV passage under the plenum has a black plastic oil sererator in it, and this seperator must face a certain way. The hole in the side of the seperator must face towards the engine/plenum, otherwise oil will be sucked up past the oil seperator and into the plenum..