Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs 304 tuning

Dudley Kirkpatrick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs calais v8
Hey guys and gal's,
Nearly finished building my vs calais engine. 355 stroker, mild ported heads, mild cam, come twin throttle body intake and full exhaust.
I'm lookingat getting it tuned and am wanting to retain the factory computer if at all possible. Does anyone know some good tuners in the Brisbane area that are able to tune it?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The stock computer can be used, but not many guys like playing around with it because the software is a little open source.
Most shops like to stick to the brand they supply.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hey guys and gal's,
Nearly finished building my vs calais engine. 355 stroker, mild ported heads, mild cam, come twin throttle body intake and full exhaust.
I'm lookingat getting it tuned and am wanting to retain the factory computer if at all possible. Does anyone know some good tuners in the Brisbane area that are able to tune it?
What's your compression ratio and Cam?
If close enough to my combo I might be able to send you an 11p tune to have written on a chip somewhere. Should be pretty close (depending)

I tuned mine with NVram from pcmhacking.

Dudley Kirkpatrick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs calais v8
It's 11 to 1 compression. I'll have to double check what cam is in it.
I'm just a bit worried about messing with the computer myself as I've never done anything like that.
I was thinking of having ace preformance do a custom memcal. Or have him convert it to nvram and tune it?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Oh, 11 to 1 is good. Mild head and mild cam, I assumed (wrongly) mild compression also.
My tune would need work for you.
Myself, @Immortality , or @someguy360 could help IF you choose to tune yourself.
But otherwise ACE seems to do a few of these so might be a good choice (trying to remember if I read someone having trouble there, or if he is good)

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I was thinking of having ace preformance do a custom memcal. Or have him convert it to nvram and tune it?
You'd want to take it to someone who can read the live AFR of the engine to tune it.

You can't really get a memcal off the shelf to suit your setup (from ACE etc), they might get it roughly in the ballpark but I wouldn't risk it at 11:1 compression, detonation is a lot more likely at high rpm when the fuelling isn't spot on.

The more custom of an engine you go, the more you need to be able to live tune it (aka see AFR at certain RPM/load etc) rather than having someone guessing a memcal for you.

If you get a wideband AFR gauge and an NVram as Deuce said we can likely help you out here and there.