Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 5L doing my head in???????????????

Mr_GM_1973

Just gotta do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E & VS 5L MAN
Hi people,

we have this VR Berlina, which used to be a V6 Auto, now it's got a pretty punchy 304 and is a manual, of late the car has been doing my head in, sometimes it cranks and doesn't start other times it starts first go, i was advised to change the ignition module, so i did but not much has changed, yesterday driving down the westgate fwy sitting on 100k and it just died on me, so i rolled it off the hwy and tried to start it and it wouldn't start until i shook the wires next to the fusebox, i did this for no particular reason, i rang my auto elect, who has already looked at the car and it has him stuffed to, anyone had the same problems, any help or advice would be great, cheers

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Try posting it in the right section for a start.

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
as above, also replace the crank angle sensor.

I dont know if the 5l run an air intake temp sensor, but i know the later model cars wont run without it, or if its faulty.
Check all terminations at the fuse box and anything other cable thats been changed or lengthened.

Check rotor button etc.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If it wasn't the module and it does start up again at some stage then mostly likely the dizzy. There's a little sensor in there called the hall effect sensor and they do crap out with old age (like everything). You can rebuild them and get the sensor from Jaycar which is the best option because new bosch dizzy's cost heaps and the fake ones are rubbish

tyremandan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Ute
My 5L vs is doing the same thing. I've been avised to replace the coil first and check the dizzy while doing it. Am doing this on Tues so will let you know the result.

Dinwoodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Forester GT, ET Turbo Pulsar, VS 5.0L Ute
haha i'm having the exact same problem at the moment, but everytrime i take my vs v8 to the mechanic the F*&^%$@ thing wont play up as soon as i am solo it will turn itself off, i've replaced the igintion module but i don't know whats next, i might try replacing the dizzy

Helicopter

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Calais V8
haha i'm having the exact same problem at the moment, but everytrime i take my vs v8 to the mechanic the F*&^%$@ thing wont play up as soon as i am solo it will turn itself off, i've replaced the igintion module but i don't know whats next, i might try replacing the dizzy

When it does stop, and you try to start it again, can you hear the fuel pump work for a few seconds while it primes up. I had a similar issue to the one you describe a while back, and whilst not saying this is your problem, it turned out to be an intermittent fuel pump.

I was lucky in the sense that when it did not start one morning, I quickly got out of the car, and listened carefully for the sound the fuel pump makes for 3 secs or so when turning the ignition from the OFF to ON position. No noise from the fuel tank instantly pinpointed the problem. I did also check/listen for the click the fuel pump relay makes and made sure power was reaching the pump.

Cheers

hoots

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq 5.0l
Assumig you have no spark, had the same problem but then wouldnt go at all, changed the CAS in the distributor, no fix so replaced the ignition module next and $450 later problem solved.

I pulled the ignition module apart and it looked like it had had water in it at some stage? dont know how common that is?

blackvyr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy r8 clubsport
hi there i had a vs ss manual it had the same problem took it to a auto elec the had it for a few hours and fond it was the coil had cracks in it and faulty they replaced that since then i had sold the car to my bro and he hasn't had a problem wit it all all hope that helps...