Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 96 V6 Getrag converted to T5 huge vibration Problems

Tim747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais and VS s pac 96
Hi all,

Firstly if anyone wants to text me or CALL me with information please do 04211802580 Im from Melbourne.

Unsure if this was the right section but I want to discuss if the T5 gearbox that is in my car now ( along with its flywheel, tailshaft, pedeal box, new clutch and spigot bush and cable setup up, not the loom as they have just cut the wires needed or the speedo and reverse light ) was there one major step that could have been over looked as my car is vibrating like crazy. At 2,000rpm the gear shift knob which isnt securely on just rattled and popped off thats how bad it is. And i think the vibration kind of settles when revs go down...whatever Im so stressed here just trying to give every detail I can.

I have gathered the following information to resolve this issue

1. I have been told the flywheel (which was machined) could be 180 degrees out as one of the holes are offset
  2. The flywheel needs to be balanced to the crank which ends up costing a lot or a rebuild of the engine. Or balance it to the Getrags flywheel (I do not understand that at all same engines but yes one is dual mass so whats the deal?)
  3. It could be the harmonic balancer (thats the engine part so what no?) or a thrust bearing. But it is the gearbox engine was fine before.

I initially thought it could be the mounts on the gearbox but no its not.

Diagnosis Report
I put the clutch pedal in and bring it up, when up (simplest way of describing this) a noise is happening. Have been told to balance the tailshaft but unsure to trust them with that if theres a noise from the clutch too.

They have phoned around and a wreckers in Queensland said "you need to balance the flywheel to the crank" and even the local shop that does the balancing is like "we could try to balance it to the Getrags flywheel" and I just dont want them to take it any further as its not sounding like.....thats the guarantee fix.

The car is going to Just commdores wreckers in Reservoir as the sound like they know what to look at. But didn't confirm if they ever came across this situation fully hmmmm but its my best option time wise.

Any thoughts? The clutch people gave me a clutch for a vn but its the same clutch as t5 was for vn to vs s1.

And I have a 96 vs which had the getrag and bad spigot bush and didnt want to have issues with it.
And got a t5 gearbox from a VS 95 which its engine was misfiring and picked up a bit when I changed the plugs between the two but wasn't vibrating at the gear stick like it is now in my car.

I wanted to get it roadworthy and going on the road so quick after this gearbox was in. I am starting my mechanic apprenticeship I am hungry for the knowledge and skills of the trade.

Thanks for having a read. Appreciate it.

Again, if anyone wants to text em or CALL me with information please do 04211802580 Im from Melbourne.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
1) Flywheel CANNOT be 180 degrees out. It only lines up ONE way.

2) You DO need to have the flywheel balanced to the crank. If you have vs v6 flywheel you shouldn't have any issues. You WILL have severe vibration problems if you use a VN s2-VR flywheel. PRE ecotec flywheels are balanced differently but will still bolt up (I expect this is what you have).

If the getrag flywheel didn't give any vibration, definitely have the t5 flywheel mirror balanced to the getrag flywheel. It's common practise.

From memory, the earlier engines are externally balanced. I.e. by adding flywheel and harmonic balancer weights. The ecotec engines are internally balanced afaik.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Can you clear this up a bit?

So VS T5 setup into 96 VS that had a Getrag and now it's vibrating? Is it a VS T5 flywheel? Can you put up the part number?

There's a couple of other things to look at in the interim. One is rotating the tail shaft 90 deg and bolting it back up, see if it still vibrates. Other is stuffed spigot or input shaft which is causing the friction plate to move around or become off centre.

Did you find any issues putting in the cross member?

Tim747

Reaction score
Members Ride
Happy to know the flywheel must be on the right way.

Well thats annoying if it does or did have to be balanced and hoping the car i used for parts didnt have a different flywheel.

If they put the flywheel on the ground does that make it unbalanced, really?
And common practise man it sounds like no ones around me knows what to do and give me a guarantee that this fixes it.

And to balance it wow i hope it doesn't cost me much.

Yes its a Holden vs with a T5 gearbox that I had put in my 96 VS which had the Getrag box.
No i cannot put up the part number the commodre guys can sort it out if its the right one lol

And yea it could be a stuffed input shaft but how like it wasn't vibrating like this int eh other car, the other car was running with a miss in the engine. Strange as situation, tempted to throw the bucket and just get an auto dropped in and shift kit it one day at this rate. B ut i want a manual again! so much more life in the car and hills are easier staying on the revs.

Can't answer exactly about the cross member as they Modified it to fit, even though I said hey your gonna need the ecu pedeal box and everything changed over.

Sorry i don't know how to expertly reply to each quaote and make it fancy so I didn't bother withe hassle, also its late its been a long day but this info....its greatly appreciated.

I just know im gonna get stung a bit more to inspect their work by the specilist and yea....something simple well F its costing me.

Tim747

Reaction score
Members Ride
Issue resolved.

Got ripped off, there was 3 flywheel bolts on it. And got new bolts paid again for the labour and it drives fine. Got a one piece exhuast and getting it road worthy at the moment.

Nervous about the speedo and reverse light not wokring as it has the Getrag loom in it.