Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Acclaim

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
VS Acclaim Questions

I just picked up a VS Acclaim and just wanted to ask a couple of questions.

Having never owned a car with ABS, IRS, airbags or cruise control,(yeah I know, but I've always owned cars where I was in control :p ), are there any issues that show up with these?

With the IRS, on fast curves, say 80k's and up, the rear end gets a bit twitchy side to side. Is this just me not being used to the IRS, or is there possibly an issue here?

Cheers :spot on:

Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
only major thing is when you really lower the rear after a few years the diff cradle can tear.

oh and the passenger side airbag cover edges lift up due to the heat and crap glue from factory. apart from that, the usual v6 stuff, CAS and o2 sensors

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Yeah the usual v6 stuff is nothing new, I've owned a few commo's but they've all been executives. The pass. airbag cover has already lifted :p

Not gonna lower it, so that's not an issue. Main thing is how the rear feels on curves at speed. I don't think it's right, just wondering if it's a common thing or I have a major issue.

Cracka

Banned :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
Old Sneakers
Twitchy? like its skipping sort off? thats not exactly normal for live axle or irs.

What is the setup, any mods e.g lowered? Since you havn't been overly specific i'm going to ask just to eliminate it, and I hate using this terminology, does it "chirp" when your parking and such?

You may need to raise the rear end of the car (Chock the front wheels, I know you know, but for anyone else out there) and have a good look at all of the bushes, also if you spin one wheel, does the other wheel spin the same way like an LSD or the opposite direction like a single spinner/pegger.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
see because its sitting at normal height it might feel like its twitchy, your shocks might be worn too.

or drop it a couple cm and it will feel like a different car. :p

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
I only picked it up tonight, and it was cheap so I'm not expecting it to be perfect. :p It'll only be a work car, replacing my VP but I still want it to go round corners properly.

Standard height, stock wheels etc. By twitchy I mean the rear sort of like rocks side to side if you move the steering wheel mid corner, something I've never had happen with a live axle. As said, I've never owned anything with IRS, but I don't think this is right.

I'll be going over it tomorrow in the light so I'll be lookin under it etc.

Kruza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dumped IRS VS Acclaim 3.8, VR Stato Caprice 5.0
if you have any dramas with ur car, send me a pm, and i can help ya out mate..

i have owned a VR Acclaim IRS, and now a VS Acclaim IRS... mine is lowered 2 inches front and rear and no dramas..
to me it may be the rear cradle bushes are flogged out as well as the diff cradle bush... ya can get kits to fix this off Ebay.. wont cost much to fix really..

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
By cheap I mean very cheap for what it is :p ...

I'll look at the bushes etc tomorrow.
It goes good just the rear end thing and the brakes need sorting, which I can do myself.

Actually there's another question. Does the ABS affect the bleeding/replacing of brakes/rotors and pads? I'm assuming it doesn't but have never done it on a car with ABS.

Thanks for the help fellas.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
if your not changing the master or booster, bleeding if changing calipers and pad/rotor changes are fine. normal bleeding proceedures apply

i've changed over calipers and performed a standard bleed, with no issue to the operation to ABS

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Cool. The brakes work alright, the only issue is the pedals a bit spongy/has no feel. I'll bleed/replace as needed. Unless the pedal feel is an ABS thing too...

#### technology :p