Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Acclaim

Kruza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dumped IRS VS Acclaim 3.8, VR Stato Caprice 5.0
ya can bleed an ABS car, but dont touch the unit..
just normal bleedin if need be.. start at left rear, then right rear, left front and lastly front right.. just make sure when ya bleed brakes on ABS cars, pump the pedal a bit after each corner is done, and after pads are done.... i found out it feels better and the abs unit dont push as much fluid around when pumped after each corner

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive ran into a few ABS equipped commodores now where the brake pedal was still slightly long and spongy after the brakes have been bled..So,after you have bled an ABS equipped car, if the pedal still feels a little bit long and spongy,it could be that air is trapped in the ABS modulator.You need to cycle the ABS to let this trapped air through the modulator.The Tech 1 scantool that holden use, has a brake bleed option in the ABS menu that allows you to cycle the ABS system whilst the brakes are being bled.You can also lock up the brakes on grass or gravel a few times,this will also cycle the ABS and hopefully let any trapped air through to the wheels so it can be bled out..You just need to rebleed them really well after you have locked the brakes up a few times..

Last edited:

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Thanks mate, I'll bleed them normally and see what happens.

Bout to go look under it and see what the go is with the rear end.

Meanwhile here's what a $700 VS Acclaim looks like :spot on:

P090711_1215.jpg

P090711_1215_01.jpg

P090711_1217.jpg

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The acclaims arent too bad,basically an optioned up executive.Ive been rebuilding my front end in my VS executive,and for the last week or so,Ive been driving around a VR acclaim I got for my oldies for $300.When I first went and picked up this car,(it still had a months rego),I was only gonna use it for parts, as the guy said the car was absolutely buggered and was only good for parts.I drove it home,and it drove pretty good.It certainly suprised me.Ive driven a few other VR/VS commodores that have been a hell of a lot worse to drive,so I decided not to scrap it,and give it to my oldies instead.Theyve been driving an old VP.The VR has got a buggered auto transmission,its slow to engage drive etc,and slips under heavy acceleration,but other than that,the cars not too bad.And Ive got another trans in another VR ,so its not gonna cost anything to fix the buggered trans.It needs new springs,struts and bushes,all the usual parts that any car this age usually needs,but yeah,its not too bad at all.
My VS has live axle,this acclaim has the IRS (I think all acclaims do),and after driving it about ,handling wise,its not too bad when compared to the live axle rear end of my VS.The VR has also got ABS,Ive never owned a car with ABS ,and Ive never really had a chance to try it out,so I was checking it out the other night when it rained,and it works pretty good too.The cars still fairly steerable under heaps heavy braking ,so it does what its supposed to do.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Cheers mate. I've just been fixin a few minor things. Interior light works now and the bonnet latches properly. No fault codes logged either. It also goes harder than my other VS.

Can't really see much underneath, I'll get it in the driveway for a proper look tomorrow, gotta move a couple of other cars first :p

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Ok, given it the once over, played around and got a few lights goin that weren't, one warped rotor on the front so changing them after I type this.

Gonna put new IRS cradle bushes and shocks in it, where's the best/cheapest place to get the bushes? Was looking on ebay but didn't find much.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Brakes all bled, new discs and pads on the front. Much better pedal feel now, stops better too. Chuck some new bushes in the back and it should be right for what it's gotta do, which is only gettin me to work and back each day.

Gonna put new IRS cradle bushes and shocks in it, where's the best/cheapest place to get the bushes? Was looking on ebay but didn't find much.

Anyone?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
i go all the bushes for the front end all at repco, decent price too.

i would give a couple auto places a call ask them for prices on the items you want, then go to the cheapest one.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
New cradle bushes and shocks coming soon woohoo.

Fark this one spins the wheels easy, my other VS is nowhere near as spin happy as this one. I don't know if that's to do with the fact my other one is live axle and this one is IRS or maybe the tyres(which are good treadwise) or what. Gonna be interesting when it rains next.