Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Audio system

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Sup guys, I just bought a new car, a 97 VS series 2 S pack, though i have bought it without the $6000 stereo system in it which comprised of a pioneer flip screen headunit, 2 15" Rockford Fosgate Subs, run through a Rockford Fosgate 1500 watt amp with 4 pioneer 6X9's...one in each door.

I bought it without the stereo which by the way was frigging sweet because i need to do an LPG conversion and its not very practical having a gas tank in the boot with a 2 15" sub box in front of it...

Anyway so i find myself in need of a headunit, an amp and a sub...

Here is what i was thinking of.

HEADUNIT

I was thinking of the Pioneer DEH - P6050UB which has rear ipod connection and full ipod interface through the unit...

MercadoLibre: DEH-P6050UB PIONEER NUEVA LINEA CD MP3 WMA AUXILIAR USB - s/. 849.00

seems like the best go...

However, since i have no electrical knowledge whatsoever...

I want to get a 12" subwoofer in a box to put in the boot, and I need an amp to run it...

So What sort of amp do I need, like power wise to run the sub and the 6X9's? I don't want to spend much and I think $100 for a sub is a good price...how much will the amp cost and what should I look for?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Few things mate, where are you planning on installing the 6x9s? by the sounds of the old system he had 6x9s in the front doors???

Anyways, to power a pair of 6x9s and a subwoofer you'll need a 4 channel amplifier. Something with around 80-120wrms per channel is ideal. What you do is run the 6x9s off the front 2 channels and bridge the rear channels to run the subwoofer. Make sure when you buy a subwoofer that its 4 ohm impedance.

I'd imagine a cheap amp would cost $150-$200, but its exactly that...cheap. A decent but not too expensive model would cost $350-$450, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Another option would be to go second hand, you dont get warranty but you will get a better quality amp with more power most of the time.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Yeah i was thinking of second hand for an amp...

the 6X9's are already in man, don't need to install them...Pioneer ones

what sort of amp, like brand/model, or sub brand/model should I go for...

Examples...please

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Well Headunit will cost $300...

I'm thinking $100 for 12" sub (second hand)

and $100 for Amp

so around $500 i reckon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X Wagon
I hate to ruin your parade, but having a sub and 6x9's isn't adviseable. I'd sell the 6x9's and pick up some semi decent splits. The best splits on a tight budget are Jaycar 6.5" splits, which are only $130 new, but you can always go higher.

The ultimate budget install is a 4 channel amp with 2 splits running off the 2 front channels and a sub running off the rear channels bridged. Keep in mind that some amps can only be run in either 2 or 4 channel mode, not 3, so make sure you don't do what I did and pick up the wrong type. Of course, I just ended up buying a cheap monoblock to fill in the gap, so I don't regret it :p

Possible amps:
Pioneer 400w 4ch Bridgeable Amp - eBay Amplifiers, Audio, Video, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 27-Feb-09 16:43:44 AEDST)
Out of the three I've listed, this would be best.

Pioneer GM-6200F 4 Channel Amp - eBay Amplifiers, Audio, Video, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 02-Mar-09 23:07:12 AEDST)
This ones a maybe if you've got a lower powered sub.

Panasonic car AMP 1000watt 4 channel model cypa4003 - eBay Amplifiers, Audio, Video, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 06-Mar-09 19:15:42 AEDST)
Same for this one.

All 3 of these are second hand, and for sale right now. They can all be bridged to 2 or 3 channels, so I'd say they're perfect for your application. Try and snag the first one if you can because it will probably be the best of the 3, but the other 2 should do okay if you don't end up with a power hungry sub.

With your sub, try and pick up one locally with a box included. Making your own/buying a box may add a fair bit more to the price than you were expecting.

Here is an eBay search of all used subs within 50k's of 3109 (presuming that's your postcode judging by your location)

, Subwoofer Boxed, Subwoofer Only items at low prices on eBay.com.au

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
^^^ cheers buddy you were a great help, ill look into the amps situation

I made a mistake, the car doesn't have 6X9's, this is what it has:

The vehicle has a Pioneer DEH-P6350 50Wx4 flip face CD player with remote worth $900 new.
JL Audio front 6" splits and 6" Rockford Fosgate rear speakers in original factory holes both worth $570 new.
2 Rockford Fosgate 15" HX2 Subwoofers in a box worth $1300 new.
Rockford Fosgate bd1500.1 amplifier 1500 Watts worth $2300 new which runs the two subwoofers.
Audio Mobile Acoustic 150WX4 amplifier which runs the six speakers in the car, worth $450 new

However, i don't have the subs, amp or headunit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X Wagon
JL Audio splits and rockford fosgate rears? Sweet, you're set for speakers. Don't worry about buying anything on that front.

I'd run the front splits from the front 2 channels of an amp and the rear speakers off the headunit. That way you've got the rear channels of the amp to run the sub, and if you decide you want to upgrade later on you can buy a monoblock for the sub and run the rears off the rear channels of the amp.

You got bloody lucky with this blokes choice of speakers, and the fact that he left them in there, must be crazy.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
yeah, well we decided on $5000 without the amp, subs and headunit, otherwise he wanted $6000