Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS auto problem after service

sixx08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Hi guys,

I have had my vs ute gearbox serviced 3 weeks ago and was running fine but about 5 days ago it started to rev out and not change gears until it was at high revs around 4k plus than it would than change. it would last around 10 minutes than be all fine i found i would also have to put my foot to the floor to make it reverse crawl out of a parking spot at the super market but after the 10ish minutes it would be fine changing smooth and driving properly, Also one more thing the last few cold starts if i spam pushed the power/eco button while driving it would fix itself and drive completley fine until i decide to drive it from cold again ( not sure if this is just luck or if has something to do with it) does anyone have any idea what this could be? at the time of the service the engine and trans had oil replaced along with my plugs and leads cheers for any help at all ill check back in a few hours thanks.

P.S. I've owned the car around 6 months and have not flogged it once.

sixx08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Hi i just got back from a 2 hour drive and checked the trans fluid level on even ground and its at the right level for hot.

Edit: When i first left the car was crawling off in drive like it was in reverse but after the 10 minutes of driving it was changing gears smooth and having a nice take off from stop.

sixx08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Nope the gearbox was running fine just was sluggish on the change due to **** oil it was darkish like burnt so i got it serviced and was changing like a dream for the 2ish weeks after and now only when its cold has no power in reverse / drive takes off like a snail at full throttle to floor :( but after a while everything runs fine like it was when it got serviced, Also i just noticed when i turned everything off inside the cabin a slight wirring or whistle noise hard to explain the noise or where it is coming from and only does it when i touch the accelerator. A friend said it may be the torque converter? all opinions appreciated just dont want to go buying something i dont need as im not financially really able to waste money at the moment.

Cheers.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Mine was like that and when I did a service I found that the filter had fallen in the pan. If the seal was not replaced there would be a chance it has done the same thing.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
You got no engine check light?

A.C.COOKIE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive 93
I have had a mate whos car did the same so I took the bottom pan off and yep as james39 said the filter wasn't on properly just floating around no good seal. It takes some force to get into postition tight and if the place who did the service left it to the apprentice he might not have actually removed the original metal ring thats in place of the filter hence not allowing the filter to seal theresfore not allowing the oil to flow properly and this would explain why its not working while cold as the fluid is still thick when it heats up it is running properly and by then is able to flow through as it is thinner if that makes any sence

sixx08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
thanks for the replies. there is no engine check light ill make arrangements for them to check the pan asap and hopefully thats the problem :)

Edit: the filter had fallen out all fix up and working great thanks for it guys.

Last edited: