Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS auto stall

kirks_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Hi everyone, i have a V6 VS series 2 commodore, with an suto transmission. Sometimes when i take off from idle the engine splutters and sometimes nearly stalls. It seems to do it more when the air con is on. My mates VS ute also does the same thing except his does stall, and it is an auto 5L. Any suggestions to what it could be?

Trei

The Skaife Fan Man.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT berlina
Fuel Filter might be blocked.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Hi everyone, i have a V6 VS series 2 commodore, with an suto transmission. Sometimes when i take off from idle the engine splutters and sometimes nearly stalls. It seems to do it more when the air con is on. My mates VS ute also does the same thing except his does stall, and it is an auto 5L. Any suggestions to what it could be?

Do a check for error codes, and see what you come up with. Could possibly be a blocked fuel filter as suggested, or a dodgy fuel regulator or pump, causing incorrect pressure of fuel being delivered to the injectors.

Could be any number of sensors delivering the wrong information to the ECU. Coolant temp sensor could have failed, resulting in the engine running excessively rich, flooding the car, could be a dodgy idle control, dodgy oxygen sensors etc... best check the codes and then go from there.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
yeah, it seems your suggesting the auto is at fault, a common mis conception with stalling cars it is not always the transmission/gear box.

In a manual it could be the gear box and is usually the drivers fault :p

Sounds to me like either your air intake is a little blocked, or your fuel line is a little blocked, could be a failing pump (As stated above) or a blocked fuel filter (As stated above) or a stuffed air filter prehaps ? maybe it needs a clean too.

Now having the air con on also makes it worse, this makes me think your belt could be old and well worn, or your battery is on the way out, could be the ignition system, since on idle it is ok, but when the spark plugs are put under load they could be failing.

allot of possibilities, easy sollutions first.

Clean Air filter, check fuel lines, maybe even replace fuel filter.

check your battery witha multimeter, could even be the alternator but not likely as after a few weeks and alternator problem will result in allot of other problems too.

Keep us posted on your progress.