Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Auto to Manual conversion

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Lol you will blow up a getrag with any more than stock power, let alone a turbo.... Good find though but you may want to sell your current car and buy another one and wack a T56 in and turbo that cause the getrag and t5 will die

In saying that delcowizard has a turbo v6 with a t5 but has busted more t5s than you can count on one hand lol but he has a fair bit of power if you were nice to it you may get some life out of it..... The old xr6t used to run T5's didn't they?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Tbh mate, I think you're better off leaving it as an auto. The 4l60e is a great box and will stand up to years of abuse. If you break one, go to the wreckers and buy another one for $100.

If there were better boxes available (eg the t56 as Bowen suggest) second hand at a reasonable price it would be worth it. Holden offerings for manual gearboxes behind the v6's weren't that well thought out and I think the manual option may have been a bit of an afterthought.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Tbh mate, I think you're better off leaving it as an auto. The 4l60e is a great box and will stand up to years of abuse. If you break one, go to the wreckers and buy another one for $100.

If there were better boxes available (eg the t56 as Bowen suggest) second hand at a reasonable price it would be worth it. Holden offerings for manual gearboxes behind the v6's weren't that well thought out and I think the manual option may have been a bit of an afterthought.

I tend to agree bro

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
Okay, so I have picked up a T5 conversion out of a sedan and it all looks pretty good :)

I just have a quick question about the tail shaft, as said before I can split the one from the sedan and put the rear half of my ute one on to get the length right, but will it need to be rebalanced? or do I just have to line some things up and it should be okay?

Cheers

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Try balancing as a last resort. It's not like it's hard to get the tail shaft out, so if it vibrates rotate it, if it still does it, rotate it more.

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
Yeah righto, so because they are balanced as separate ones when I combine them I should be able to jag a spot where they are good and don't vibrate, if they do at all?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yes should be fine. Try and ensure that the yokes are either inline or at 90 degrees to each other though. Not that it really matters since they're really two separate shafts supported by a bearing in the middle anyway, but it's just good practise.

I've pulled them apart before and put them back together in different positions and mixed and matched front/rear halves and haven't had any vibration problems.

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
Alright mad! Looks like this weekend is gonna be fun. Thanks again everyone for all your help and I will post up the results when I get it all running

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
Alright, all the auto gear is out and i have the pedal assembly and starter motor in. Before i swap over the manual loom i wanna run the auto loom and make sure everything is working mechanically. Is it as simple as shorting out the neutral safety switch and wiring up the speed sensor and all that like in the vn-vr guide? Or can i plug the manual computer into the auto loom and much around with it that way?

355VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR 355 5spd
The plugs for the auto and manual looms are different as is the wiring. My VR was an auto originally now T5. I ran the auto ecu for a while with the flags turned off to stop the CEL coming on. Have now re-pinned the harness to suit a manual ecu using 808 plugs instead of the auto plugs(they are the same as the manual plugs) and am running 12p code from pcmhacking.net