Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Auto to Manual conversion

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
Thanks mate, that does help a bit. Just to clarify, that chiptorque link is to run the auto ecu still right?

355VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR 355 5spd
Yes it will get it going with the auto ecu but it will throw codes.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VR is quiet different to VS when it comes to the ecu/PCM.

VS auto and manual PCM's are different but only so much that the PCM's are basically the same except the manual ecu has a couple of extra components on the board for the different VSS/input.

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
Can you elaborate on that a bit more please immortality? I have always been interested in learning about them and how to tune the memcals and stuff so any extra info is greatly appreciated

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
And thank you 355VR. I don't wanna run it forever like that, just long enough to make sure all the mechanicals are working, then i can switch over to the manual loom and do it properly

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The Auto and T5 manual gear boxes use a different type of Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) (The getrag on the other hand uses the same VSS as the Auto). The standard Auto PCM does not have the extra components on the board to process the input from the T5 VSS and because the PCM uses the VSS to determine when to go into idle mode it's common to have vehicles stalling when the VSS signal isn't present even if all the auto functions/fault codes have been disabled in the tune.

The ignition maps also differ between auto and manual transmissions.

For more info it's best to check out the Delcohack Forum as this has been well covered there. Plenty of folks there that are very well versed in the intricacies of the various ECU's/PCM's and tunes etc.

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
I just thought of another question....

I went and bought some bolts for the flywheel, they are high tensile and look exactly like the old ones and screw in perfectly, the only difference i can see is they are a goldie colour not black. They will work right? Or are flywheel bolts a special type? And should i used a dot of loctite on them or do i just torque them up with out it? Cheers

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
I just thought of another question....

I went and bought some bolts for the flywheel, they are high tensile and look exactly like the old ones and screw in perfectly, the only difference i can see is they are a goldie colour not black. They will work right? Or are flywheel bolts a special type? And should i used a dot of loctite on them or do i just torque them up with out it? Cheers

U should use genuine tty bolts if not I would've exceeded the tensile rating on the factory bolts.... The gold is just the zinc plating I'm fairly sure it's zinc anyways