Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs berlina chrome door mould help/opinions??

vs_boy94

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina s2
Hey all, I have a 96 series 2 vs berlina and the chrome door moulds are flaking of and faded (looks ugly). Was wondering if it could be possible to use hot wire and slice out the old plastic/chrome strip instead of pulling of the whole mould and paying $$$ for ones that are hard to come by, and glue in a eBay chrome strip that's the same thickness/width etc, Cheers.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
if your talking about the door trolley strips the ebay ones shouldn't need glueing.
should come with a self adhesive backing which will be fine. (had them on mine for ages and they are still good)

KrisG

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VSII Berlina
I think he's talking about the Series II Berlina mould specifically.

This is a one piece mould; both the chrome stripe and the body coloured mould above it (see pic). They are extremely rare to come by in good nick.

You cannot separate the two, but I guess you could cut the mould at the groove and apply the e-bay chrome mould below the body coloured mould to take it's place. To get a nice cut and avoid damage, you'll need to remove the whole mould from the car, however these moulds are very tough to cut into, and I'd advise against this.

Another easier suggestion is to apply some quality chrome tape over it, they have some sort of metallic finished tape from factory anyway so it's worth a shot even though it may only be a temporary solution. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 220

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
certainly see what you mean now.

in that case could it be somehow sanded back carefully, masked up well and sprayed?
just another idea

KrisG

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VSII Berlina
I didn't even think of painting it, haha. Sounds like the better option, and it'll last much longer than the factory tape.