Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Calais Conversion

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOTHING
i currently own a 1994 VR Calais. Im looking to buy a VS. Im wanting to know whether i could put the vr motor into the vs when i buy one. Would there be any modifications needed? Also will the diff and gearbox be interchangeable?
Thanks in advance
Nathan

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
V6 or V8?

If they're both V8 for the most part you just be able to swap the motors.

If they're both V6 you'll have to get VATS turned off in the tune as the VR/VS BCMs use different security signals. You'll also have to run the VR loom and ECU.

Then there's the whole older engine in newer car thing you're not allowed to do. Not such a problem with the 5L as they're pretty much the same, 3800/Ecotec are similar but not the same.

spauldj308

S Pack Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S sedan 5L, VSII ute
Vehicle Anti Theft System, or something similar. It's in the ECU programming.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You will have to give your memcal to somebody to have it removed, there are a few good mail order tuners on this forum like delcowizzid or The1.

Why do you want to swap the motors?

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOTHING
Well currently my VR's body is up the s***. But the motor, gearbox, and diff are in perfect nic. So Im in the market for either a VS or VR. The body has to be acceptable (not perfect) car doesnt need to have motor or gearbox, can be rolling shell.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You're better off aiming for a VR if you really want to go down that path. Can't really legally put the VR motor into the VS due to emissions, not to mention there's a lot less mucking around.

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOTHING
Ok then. If I have no choice putting the VR motor in the VS how can i go about with the emissions issue?