Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs calais - series 2. My old/new ride

xr6eta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Hi All
Glenn's the name and I'm in Canberra. Have been trawling the site for a few weeks now since I acquired my ride. Have had a ball re doing the roof lining, installing new radiator, another auto trans, cruise control stalk, etc. The forums are great reading and i have identified a number of things as being what appear to be common problems and am slowly rectifying them.
I came across the car as a swap, I had a Nissan Exa Turbo that I shelled out a fortune on over 7 years but unfortunately, despite it being an absolute rocket, I needed something more practical and this came up. Was extremely hard to let the Exa go but now that the VS is running so well, I'm loving it.
It's the V6 on LPG, all Calais options, no rust, Statesman rims and that's about it. The dark tint in the pics has gone due to being illegal and not passing inspection.
The auto trans was making a hell of a racket so I took it to an auto trans place that gave me the usual response for $150, it's stuffed. They said they'd look after me and if I sourced another auto trans, they could install it for $850. A search of Ebay located a mob in Smithsfield Sydney, OZ parts who put in later model trans with 6 months warranty for $590 so I bit the bullet and gave it a go. The trip to and from cost me under 40 bucks in gas and I am over the moon. The trans is as strong as an ox, as quiet as a mouse and all for $590.
The roof lining was exactly like the one in the link on this site, hanging down around my ears. I looked at the link and thought I'd give it a go. I was going to do the roof lining in standard color material but then I found some sensational Marilyn Monroe material at Spotlight and she now peers down at me from above while I'm driving. I love it, you might not but hey, who's driving the car. When I get some good pics I'll put them up.
Just put the new Ebay radiator in today, am very happy with how that went.
Hope I haven't been too long winded, look forward to participating in more forums and have appreciated the help I have received so far. Will post more pics when I have them.

Attachments

• 101_1786.jpg
    101_1786.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 2,011
  • 101_1788.jpg
    101_1788.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 3,958

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I like the wheels clean and tidy.

brad3394

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs Acclaim
really clean mate, sounds like you got a bargin for the auto trans too. keep us posted, and put up some pictures of that roof lining, im interested :)