Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Calais SII S/C ECU Problem

Brunothebull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Series 2 L67
019.JPG
Hello everyone, i'm a newbie here. I recently purchased a 1996 VS Calais Series 2 L67. Unknown to me until i got it home i discovered the car was once on LPG. The gas tank and everything was removed except the Gas ECU that was mounted directly under the ECU inside the passenger kick panel. There were 6 wires from the Gas ECU joined to wires from the ECU. I removed the 6 wires and the Gas ECU and joined the original wires back to the ECU so they are all color matched now (See Photo). But now the car won't start. Everything powers up but engine won't turn over. I suspect there should be a lead going to the body for earth? The Gas ECU is made of Aluminium and was attached to the body so that would have been the earth. I looked at my other VS wagon and it has a black earth lead attached to the body just beneath the ECU, i tried this, the engine turned over very slowly and fried the coating on the black wire that had to earth and joined to another 6 black wires (2 coming from under dash loom and joined with 4 from ECU). Can anyone help out? Cheers Bruno

Last edited:

Brunothebull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Series 2 L67
Looks like no one has had this problem so it looks like i will be hooking up the Gas ECU again so i can start it, just hate having excess crap i don't need in the car :(

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Follow the red wire that goes to the positive side of the fuel injectors. Make sure there’s 12v at that wire/positive side of the injectors with the ignition on.

With most mixer style lpg conversions, the red wire is cut and a relay is fitted so that the petrol injectors can be disabled.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
it sounds like it might just be a coincidence that this has happened now.

from what you are saying, i would be checking the main earth between battery and the engine. sounds like the engine was trying to earth back through the small ECU earths.

Brunothebull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Series 2 L67
Follow the red wire that goes to the positive side of the fuel injectors. Make sure there’s 12v at that wire/positive side of the injectors with the ignition on.

With most mixer style lpg conversions, the red wire is cut and a relay is fitted so that the petrol injectors can be disabled.
Hi EYY. I tested the red wire at the injector and voltage was 8-9 volts. I tested the thick red wire going to ECU and that was 12 volts.

Brunothebull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Series 2 L67

from what you are saying, i would be checking the main earth between battery and the engine. sounds like the engine was trying to earth back through the small ECU earths.
It has only been since i have disconnected the 6 wires from the Gas ECU to the PCM (ECU). It was running great when hooked up to the Gas ECU, i might just hook it back up and take it to someone that knows what they are doing, or just leave it.

Brunothebull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Series 2 L67

Thanks wamboin23 you were right, the main earth between battery and engine was off the terminal. The terminals have a thread with a wingnut and i had forgot to put one on. Thanks again and to others that repied, i must have had a blond moment lol.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
Thanks wamboin23 you were right, the main earth between battery and engine was off the terminal. The terminals have a thread with a wingnut and i had forgot to put one on. Thanks again and to others that repied, i must have had a blond moment lol.

no problems at all! your description of the issue made it a pretty simple one!