Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Caprice auto box into my VS?

HecticAcclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Hi all
I've blown the box in my VS Wagon v6.
I've got a box that apparently came out of a VS Caprice but when i tried to fit (or more pulled my old box out) i found the new box has a full bolted on bell housing unlike my original one thats all one piece.

Looking further into it, it seems like it could maybe be a VT box? It seems like someone has already notched the drivers side of the box to fit the exhaust through (so many it was out of a VS caprice, but that had had a VT box jammed in it at some point)

My issue's are
1: my metal cooler lines don't fit up, they're all too short and the 2 cooler ports come out at a 90 degree (straight out of the side of the box) wheres the original box's ones come out on a slight angle. Seems like the bell housing might be about 10mm longer since the measurement from the cooler points to the front of the box is about 10mm different between box's

2: the rear cross member/gearbox mount doesn't fit, the studs for the mount sit about 10mm behind the holes in the bracket, and if i bolt it on the box first, no amount of mucking about makes it line up with any the of 6 mount holes in the body

Is there a different rear mounting i can use (do i need to change it too a VT one maybe?), or cross member? or should i just drill in some new holes?
Does it sound plausible that its actually a VT box? or did VS caprice's use a different box (idk the year model it came out of).

Can i just cut my metal pipes, flare them and add some hose, maybe change too an external cooler later?

Drive shaft seems to line up perfectly fine/fit in, so i don't expect any issues there (unless someone knows of something that'll go wrong)

I assume can i just throw away (or put away somewhere) the 2 old engine > gearbox brackets since they're not used on this box now?
Any info would be super handy! Thanks!

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Sounds like the vs caprice box was behind a v8 and won't work behind a v6 as the bolt pattern is different.

HecticAcclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Sounds like the vs caprice box was behind a v8 and won't work behind a v6 as the bolt pattern is different.
It physically bolts up just fine too the ecotec, that sides all good, wiring all matches up (plugs straight in, not excess or not enough wiring), the bell housing is even notched correctly for the v6 exhaust to fit through, its just the rear-mount that doesn't line up and the cooler lines that are too short.

Is that normal, what do people do to fix that? or is that not normal?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I dont know jack about v6 models but have been told cant use vt box on vr/s v8 as electrical is different configuration & ends up in limp mode

Usually good idea to replace with what came out of car if it says 5hbd dont put 7hbd as usually some sort of difference that will bite you in the arse.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I dont know jack about v6 models but have been told cant use vt box on vr/s v8 as electrical is different configuration & ends up in limp mode

Usually good idea to replace with what came out of car if it says 5hbd dont put 7hbd as usually some sort of difference that will bite you in the arse.

The difference is one is a 16 pin plug the other 15 pin.
I have heard of people getting them to work using a diode or something like that.

Just for information purpose, these old autos can be externally controlled by an aftermarket controller, I've never seen it done, I just know some guys in the US do it for conversions and such.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Not worth the effort or headaches when can find correct part with some patience & research.

HecticAcclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Worked it all out, all good peeps, as i said the box came out of a Vs caprice, a V6 caprice not a V8!, but it was one of the last made and got the VT auto. They electrically have either 12 or 13pins, both my original and this one have 13 pins so it drives perfectly fine. Being a V6 VS box, even has the right converter in it too, no need to muck with it.

So literally it was made too fit a VS from factory, comes with a factory cutout in the bellhousing and inspection plate with cutout to suit!

The only difference's are the rear crossmember that the wrecker didn't include when i got the box ....(he posted it too me), box bolted up perfectly with it and the oil cooler lines are longer and bent at a 90 degree rather than short and bent at a ~35 degree.

Ended up cutting the alloy pipes just behind the bellhousing where you can still get too them with everything bolted up in place, flared the end of the pipes slightly and put rubber transmission hose in them to lengthen it.

Everything else fits perfectly just don't need those 2 box brackets anymore, and the bottom of the box doesn't have anything to bolt too (the VT sumps have mounting holes in the bottom of them) so just put a nut and bolt through the holes to stop the inspection plate rattling

Cheers!

Reactions: Lex

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Worked it all out, all good peeps, as i said the box came out of a Vs caprice, a V6 caprice not a V8!, but it was one of the last made and got the VT auto. They electrically have either 12 or 13pins, both my original and this one have 13 pins so it drives perfectly fine. Being a V6 VS box, even has the right converter in it too, no need to muck with it.

So literally it was made too fit a VS from factory, comes with a factory cutout in the bellhousing and inspection plate with cutout to suit!

The only difference's are the rear crossmember that the wrecker didn't include when i got the box ....(he posted it too me), box bolted up perfectly with it and the oil cooler lines are longer and bent at a 90 degree rather than short and bent at a ~35 degree.

Ended up cutting the alloy pipes just behind the bellhousing where you can still get too them with everything bolted up in place, flared the end of the pipes slightly and put rubber transmission hose in them to lengthen it.

Everything else fits perfectly just don't need those 2 box brackets anymore, and the bottom of the box doesn't have anything to bolt too (the VT sumps have mounting holes in the bottom of them) so just put a nut and bolt through the holes to stop the inspection plate rattling

Cheers!
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...n-compatibility-and-differences-4l60e.254449/

Personally, I would’ve refitted a VS transmission knowing the complexities.