Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Caprice speaker sizes

Nick Scali

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Caprice
Good evening, all,

Had my VSII Caprice for 6 years now, and the previous owner fitted a head unit, replaced the front and rear speakers, and done some shitful wiring for the fronts that run through the door jam.

However, I notice that the majority of the sound comes from the tiny speakers in the roof, rather than the front and rear speakers, surely this is set up wrong.

Does anyone know what size the factory speakers would have been? I'm thinking about running some new wiring to the speakers as well as replacing the speakers in the roof (or maybe disconnecting them),

Has absolutely zero bass and it sounds like the roof speakers are doing 90% of the work instead of the larger front and rear speakers, even with the audio setting on the head unit directed to the front speakers - its all a bit **** sounds like a stereo from 1982.

Thanks

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
more than likely. On some head units, like my kenwood, the rears are set up for bass. The bulk of the sound is supposed to come from the doors. Had to use series wiring to get all 4 to work properly, which of course increases total impedence to 16 instead of the usual 8. Going up is fine. Going down will blow your amp

BH78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
Good evening, all,

Had my VSII Caprice for 6 years now, and the previous owner fitted a head unit, replaced the front and rear speakers, and done some shitful wiring for the fronts that run through the door jam.

However, I notice that the majority of the sound comes from the tiny speakers in the roof, rather than the front and rear speakers, surely this is set up wrong.

Does anyone know what size the factory speakers would have been? I'm thinking about running some new wiring to the speakers as well as replacing the speakers in the roof (or maybe disconnecting them),

Has absolutely zero bass and it sounds like the roof speakers are doing 90% of the work instead of the larger front and rear speakers, even with the audio setting on the head unit directed to the front speakers - its all a bit **** sounds like a stereo from 1982.

Thanks
HI Nick

I've just had my stereo returned back to stock, including replacing the front and rear speakers.

I ended up with some Sony 6.5' mids in the front and some 6.5' Coaxial's in the back. XS-XB1641 XS-XB1621C.

The rear woofers are 8' in the rear, I tried some NOS ones however they did not fit which meant the rear covers did not fit.

I have disconnected the roof speakers as one was blown - I will try and find a suitable low profile 4' that fits shortly.

This set up with the 8490V factory deck sounds way better than the dated Alpine set up that was installed - also looks stock.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 346105861_915728986354436_8909402803865029222_n.jpg
    346105861_915728986354436_8909402803865029222_n.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 102