Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Caprice wont start - Code 46?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the code is still relevant for V8 it just means the problem is in a different area
possibly the trigger module.
but having spark & no injector pulse it will probably be the distributor
Rob

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange/VS Caprice S1 5.0
Thanks Rob, I reckon you are spot on.

We shall see what the answer is next week hopefully :)

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
a further update.

Got told to come pick up the car today, a known good trigger module has been put in it, and i shall drive it around for the week to test.

Suspicion moved to the trigger module this morning, when the mech's went out and it fired up first turn of the key.

So we try this for week and then of all ok, new module will replace the loaner.

No probs so far, all looking good!

;)

V

VS Roy

3.8 VS motors and a lot of problems with the crank shaft position sender . that can cause this problem but u will usally find that it will run when it is cold and will die when it is hot but this would be my first option

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
hi simmons001,
My VS Caprice had exactly the same problem(s). Solved by replacing ...
Hall Sensor (pulse to injectors)
ECT (poor starting when hot and cold)
Trigger module (first thing the auto elect thought of - not necessary)
Coil and leads (missing under load).
I have an earlier post which follows the sad saga.

Hope this helps. :D

Jon

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
final result

a week of the replaceemnt trigger module and all ok

so it appears that was the problem... thanks all for the suggestions/assistance ;)

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
hi simmons001,
Hope that you have fixed the problem. My Hall Sensor problem materialised once every 7 to 9 days, almost like clock-work. So, if you experience the problem in the next 2 to 3 days, go for the Hall-Sensor which is responsible for the spark timming and the injector pulse timming. When it wouldn't start I found that by squirting some petrol into the inlet manifold, the engine started, the revs increased to the point where the Hall-Sensor began to work again. In times of desparation this worked (to the ammusement and wonderment of my passengers) and pointed to the Hall-Sensor as the culprit.

Jon.

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
more news!

after 13 days of no problem with the replacement trigger module, the problem has re-occurred. Dang.

So in she goes for a new distributor. Apparently you cant buy just the hall sensor on its own anymore.

So after all that....it appears to be the hall sensor. Anyone have an old Mallory Twin Point dizzy lying around? I HATE new fangled technology ;)

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
Hi simmons001,
I believe I had my Hall Sensor rebuilt by an auto elec (next door to the Holden Dealership). I asked them to test and confirm that my HS had a problem, which they reported back that they had found a short on the board. Apparently the auto elec can rebuild them - but maybe they just put in an exchange unit. However since then, the car starts perfectly, every time - and so it should!!! :thumbsup:

Jon