Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Clubby starting issues.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
Is your dizzy wiring connected?
I'm going to throw my 2 cents in and say it possibly could be the Hall Effect Sensor (Distributor)...but check things like the Rotor Button and Distributor Cap and the Ignition Coil first.
Check the globe of the engine light because you'll need to Check for Error Codes.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
Have tested spark and there is none. I have access to a VN 5L A ecu but i'm pretty sure it wont work. Will I get anything with it test wise??????

are u using the right key fob for your bcm , just a thought , sounds like ya immobilizer , still don't no what u did to ya car.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
Is your dizzy wiring connected?
I'm going to throw my 2 cents in and say it possibly could be the Hall Effect Sensor (Distributor)...but check things like the Rotor Button and Distributor Cap and the Ignition Coil first.
Check the globe of the engine light because you'll need to Check for Error Codes.

rotor button are u sure, vs are controlled by the ecu .

05Shan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Clubsport, VE SS-V 60th, VE II SS-V ute
As previously stated, car was a roller, as in nothing at all in it. Immobiliser turns off when key goes in ign. Plus I tried the 1 hour ign on thing.

Using same key as before (when it worked)

Found a VS 5L Auto ECU that shares the same service number so wondering if this will plug straight in and give me a sign or do I need the BCM as well????

05Shan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Still has a rotor button, as I have replaced both it and the cap.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
what about the condenser on the side off the distributor, it sounds like it needs an auto elec

Linzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
The ECU and BCM on VS's aren't linked so you can try that different computer. It's from VT onwards they're linked.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I haven't checked the base ign timing, didn't touch the dizzy at all so I never considered it. How do you do that???????????????

If you haven't touched the distributor then that's probably not the issue. To get into diagnostic mode you need to bridge pins five and six of the 16 pin data link connector (and then use a timing light). Diagnostic mode will also display any trouble codes that have been set which may give you a clue on what's wrong. Failing that, sounds like it might be time to try replacing the coil.

05Shan

Reaction score
Members Ride
The ECU and BCM on VS's aren't linked so you can try that different computer. It's from VT onwards they're linked.

Excellent, I have found a ECU I can try. If the guy gets back to me

Car doesn't have a condenser on the side of the dizzy that I know of.

Once I sort this engine light problem (believe it's a bulb) then will put in diagnostic mode and see what comes up.

05Shan

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you haven't touched the distributor then that's probably not the issue. To get into diagnostic mode you need to bridge pins five and six of the 16 pin data link connector (and then use a timing light). Diagnostic mode will also display any trouble codes that have been set which may give you a clue on what's wrong. Failing that, sounds like it might be time to try replacing the coil.

Would the coil stop the injector pulse and fuel pump initial prime??