Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs clubsport wont crank

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
So it's in a VS Clubsport yeah? And you're currently using VS ECU and VS memcal? Even if it sounds obvious, it's in park or neutral? Getting fuel?

Are you still getting code 31?

Last edited:

BottleFedVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0L & 80 Series Landcruiser
The theft deterrent signal comes from the BCM (Body Control Module) they can fail with little to no notice.
If you can get a BCM of the same type (including key fob as they are coded to 1 BCM and cannot be reprogrammed) and give that a go.
A new BCM is not cheap (as you have to get a key fob programmed to match it) so try a borrowed one and key fob to see if that works.
I had my missus car stop running and i thought that was Fuel, as I was only getting a code 31.
I changed the BCM as a frustrated last resort and the car then gave me a code 46. It turned out to be not only the BCM immobilizer but also the hall effect trigger.
If you can get a pcm with VATS turned off just to test with that may help also as that would take the immobilizer out of the equation.

Let us know how you go.
I hope that helps

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I suggest that you should be more accurate in your statements if you expect to get help from this forum. In your thread description you say that your car doesn't crank. In later posts you seem to state that it cranks but doesn't start. Which is it? If it cranks, is there any delay between turning the ignition to start and when it begins to crank? Have you set the static timing to 10 degrees BTDC in diagnostic mode (pins five and six of the diagnostic connector bridged)? You don't mention whether your car is an auto or manual, although other posters have assumed that you have an auto.

Disturbed_vegeta

I'd Prefer To ROAR!
Reaction score
Website
Www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VR Hsv Senator, VX SS, VZ SS Ute 6L, K9 GSXR1000
Ok. I got the shits with the car so i left it for a while but ive had another crack at it.
Heres a basic run down
Car is auto
Swapped a vr 304 in a vs
At first it wouldn't turn over but turned out to be the switch on the shifter
Then the fuel pump wasnt working, found out the tank was full of rust so ive since replaced both.
Now it just turns over, it does sound like its about to start but wont.
Heres what ive tried to get it going
Changed the dizzy
Swapped the ignition module
Swapped the coil
Checked the wiring.
Checked the codes and all sweet

Its getting spark and fuel to the rails, the key also still unlocks/locks the car plus the security light turns off so i dont think its the key.
I have noticed that theres a bit fuel smell coming from the engine and that the wiring to the starter gets pretty hot, does that mean anything?

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Yea the switch in the shifter shitting itsself is common, is it still throwing a fault code? Disconnect batterie as this resets fault codes. See if it throws codes again.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
And just so we're clear and can tick one off the list, you're using the VS ECU again?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Have you set the static timing to 10 degrees BTDC in diagnostic mode (pins five and six of the diagnostic connector bridged)? If your static timing is out by a significant amount your car will crank but it won't start. If you don't have a timing light, you could try loosening the distributor bolt slightly, then while you are cranking the engine (or while someone else is cranking the engine) slowly turn the distributor up to 30 degrees or so to the left and right to see if that gets the engine to start. Use a thick glove or rag between the distributor cap and your hand to prevent any electrical shock.

Disturbed_vegeta

I'd Prefer To ROAR!
Reaction score
Website
Www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VR Hsv Senator, VX SS, VZ SS Ute 6L, K9 GSXR1000
Ok ive gotten it to start, i undid the dizzy bolt and turned it while cranking it over and it got it running. But now its running horribly. I do have a timing light but when i connected it wouldnt work?? So i tested the light on my skyline and it worked so its not the test light.

What do you mean when you say static timing. I thought i just had to ensure that it was at tdc, firing order was correct and made sure the rotor button was at 1, then once its running connect the timing light and adjust the dizzy. Or am i missing something.

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Hi,
As stated in the post above to set the static timing to 10deg Btdc you have to jumper pin 5 to 6 in the connector under the steering wheel, start the car with timing light on #1 cylinder and rotate the dizzy till 10 deg BTDC is set.
Then turn off and remove jumper.