Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs Commodore annoying tappet noise

evos

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive series 1
Hey guys i have a vs Commodore v6 and always had occasional tappet noise not all the time but most of the time. Always do my services on time or before but this time ran nulon mineral oil and instead of the normal ryco filter saw a ryco Platinum one bit more expensive but I've done the change and have had no tappet noise at all and my economy with air con on the highway was always around 9.1 average but has dropped to 7.5 in the same spots. Just a thought to try going the better oil filter to fix it. Might help some people out so thought I'd do a post

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
What weight oil did U end up using?

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
I'd say its just your lifters are on their way out. If your lifters are OK, the oil weight shouldnt matter, but i'd be checking your oil pressure too.

1994vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Executive
use synth oil see if ur oil pressure is ok as the guy above said ur lifters are probably on their way out. remember for hot environments use thicker oil for cold environments use thinner oil

evos

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive series 1
I've used different types of oil and once i changed the oil filter to a better one problem solved i usually use 20/50 has around 300 thousand ks not blowing smoke or anything yet not too worried if the lifters die excuse to use roller rockers

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
If its done 300k, the lifters are due for a change lol. You can patch it using different oils, lifter free ect, but ultimately, the lifters should be changed.

evos

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive series 1
Yeah true I've been looking at mace roller rockers not sure what ones to get. Have a cai extractors and 2.5 inch exhaust already done