Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs commodore Auto trans problem

Benmuscat01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore, HQ ute
Hi all, got a 95’ vs commodore sedan, ecotec auto.

I just got it back up and running after swapping in a replacement engine, I did a transmission service while it was all out of the car, I filled the trans up with dex 3 and went to reverse out of the garage for the first time.

I put the car in reverse but it didn’t want to move like normal, I stopped the engine and topped up the trans fluid as that was what I thought was wrong. I tried backing out again and it seamed all fine until, I went back into drive and tried to accelerate and the car didn’t want to move, it only moved forward very slightly after I released the throttle. I then heard a hissing sound and shut the engine off, I took the trans dipstick out and there was what looked like steam or smoke pouring out the dipstick tube and the sound of fluid boiling, all this after only having the engine running for 1 minute.

I can’t think of what the problem is, all i did was replace the filter and pan gasket and bolt it up to the replacement engine. I didn't remove the torque converter or touch anything delicate in the trans when I did the service on it. If anyone has any theory’s as to what might be causing this would be greatly appreciated cheers

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
did you locate the torque converter into the auto correctly before bolting up to motor

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
did you locate the torque converter into the auto correctly before bolting up to motor

Agree it is sounding like a cracked pump.

Benmuscat01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore, HQ ute
I never removed the torque converter from the trans so it should’ve stayed seated in, it all bolted up to the engine and flex plate no problem. Can’t see any external leaks after running it.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I believe there is a gear sequence that you should do after a fluid change. Can't remember it exactly.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
You've changed the filter, now I'm wondering if you got the metal collar out of the receptacle hole before fitting the new filter.

Last edited:

Benmuscat01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore, HQ ute
You change the filter, now I'm wondering if you got the metal collar out of the receptacle hole before fitting the new filter.
If you’re talking about the seal that the filter sits up in, I made sure to replace it as it was supplied in the service kit.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you’re talking about the seal that the filter sits up in, I made sure to replace it as it was supplied in the service kit.

On the new filter you'll find there is a metal collar located at the end of the tubular section and when you remove the older filter that collar will remain in the trans body. That must be removed before attempting to fit the new filter

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Prob no line pressure, either low fluid or filter not seated correctly.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Prob no line pressure, either low fluid or filter not seated correctly.

That's what I was referring to with my post before yours if that collar is not removed.