Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS commodore Brake Failure

wildfire40

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS V6 Acclaim Sedan
Hi,
Just looking for any suggestions.
Have a VS Commodire Acclaim V6. It isnt driven much. I took it for a spin and all was well. I started descending a mountainous curving road and started to have brake issues. The brakes were either fading or failing. It was slowing up but when I tried to bring it to a quick complete stop my. Foot was almost to the floor and car would not pull up only slow down. I could smell my brakes . I managed to get it home but was definitely sweating as if anything requiring me to do a quick stop that was not going to happen.
I intend to do a fluid flush and vacuum bleed. Has anyone had similar situation. Was wondering whether brake hoses fail by expanding etc with age. No leaks are apparent. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A flush and bleed is a good start but check your fluid level and see if you are loosing fluid which might explain the long pedal. Conversely if no leaks and still a long pedal the master cylinder may have failed and is bypassing internally.

What do the actual rotors and pads look like? Maybe look for a leak around calipers.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
That was brake fluid boil.
You likely cooked your pads and rotors.
Then your fluid would've had too much water content, then the water boils and makes vapor pockets.

I had it once in my old VP wagon.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
IMO the brake fluid should be fully flushed yearly

My brake failure was from one seized caliper

I believe it seized up hard on the initial hard braking coming into the first corner going down the Bulli Pass, then cooked all the way down killing the fluid, the pads and the rotor

To say it was a "interesting" experience would be an understatement

The passenger front pads were basically on fire and the disc was blue/black when I eventually was able to stop, even the hub bearing assembly showed signs of heat when I rebuilt all the calipers, and replaced the hub bearing assemblies

The car hasn't moved since as I'm still waiting for all the new pads and rotors to arrive

I would definitely inspect your pads and rotors for excessive heat damage and replace if required as street pads can be damaged pretty bad as they are not designed for excessive heat

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Standard brakes aren't that flash and wouldn't last that long with the driving you were doing. Try using ceramic pads.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Standard brakes aren't that flash and wouldn't last that long with the driving you were doing. Try using ceramic pads.
I agree lots of hard braking on the stock VS brakes and they will fade pretty quickly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Easy to flush them if you don't have ABS. All I used to do was crack a nipple, one at a time, starting at the back left and let it drip out until new fluid comes through. Do that on all four wheels. Rears take ages to drip through, front's you really got to keep an eye on the resi.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I quite like the DBA street series pads for a street car, excellent initial bite, and they hold up pretty well to pretty much anything you can throw at them on the street

Plus minimal dust and absolutely no squealing

From DBA, which I agree with:
  • OE-style post-cured process for optimal braking performance over the pad life
  • Ceramic* formulation and copper-free (NSFI certified) for low dust emission & clean wheels
  • High-friction stripe for easy bedding-in
  • Application-specific NVH shims, slots and chamfers for less vibration and noise

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I like the EBC pads, every time I've fitted them, after the break in they have a good feel.