Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Commodore climate control diagnostic check

struggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline + 2013 FG MKII G6ET
Hi All,

Can anyone please supply informaion on how to do a vs commodore climate control diagnostic check. :bow: :bow:

Thx in advance
Struggo

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Ummm....turn it on....if it blows cold air then it works.
I don't think there is an actual diagnostic check apart from selecting the air direction and making sure the air comes out where its supposed to and getting a thermometer and putting it in the vent and checking to see if the temp is roughly what the LCD says it is.

struggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ummm....turn it on....if it blows cold air then it works.
I don't think there is an actual diagnostic check apart from selecting the air direction and making sure the air comes out where its supposed to and getting a thermometer and putting it in the vent and checking to see if the temp is roughly what the LCD says it is.

Yeah a clever duffa Not_An_Abba_Fan :p

I need to know why my car is doing the following,

I have a fault which I now believe is happening when starting my car. The A/C unit is being sent a spike causing it to miss read the temp.

I turn the reds on and the temp will be 24, kick the car over and it wil be 55 or -27. When it's -27 I cannot cool the car down

I have relaced the ambient & sun sensors with new parts after being advised to do so. These two parts have yet to rememdy the problem.

I have been to a sparky and he was unable to locate the fault :cry:

Cheers
Struggo

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Have you checked the codes? Maybe a clue to what the problem is.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Yeah a clever duffa Not_An_Abba_Fan :p

I need to know why my car is doing the following,

I have a fault which I now believe is happening when starting my car. The A/C unit is being sent a spike causing it to miss read the temp.

I turn the reds on and the temp will be 24, kick the car over and it wil be 55 or -27. When it's -27 I cannot cool the car down

I have relaced the ambient & sun sensors with new parts after being advised to do so. These two parts have yet to rememdy the problem.

I have been to a sparky and he was unable to locate the fault :cry:

Cheers
Struggo

Take it to GMH and get them to plug the computer in, I'm sure there is a diagnostic test mode for it, as there was one for VN to VP Climate control systems. Might cost a little bit of coin, but atleast you will know exactly whats wrong with it, and then you can head off to a wrecker and get a new control panel, or whatever the problem may be.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
its a stand alone unit, no serial data diagnostics are available

im sure ive seen the diagnostic posted somewhere..cant remember where though

monarols71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series11 Ute
Bob is correct, as usual.
Just went and checked mine, because I couldn't remember.
Hold "amb" and turn the ignition on, then press "off". Release buttons. That gets you to the screen test. Press "amb" again and that takes you into the diagnostic mode. "Up" and "Down" buttons take you through the diagnostics, along with "amb", but I haven't got the "addresses" at the moment.

struggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bob is correct, as usual.
Just went and checked mine, because I couldn't remember.
Hold "amb" and turn the ignition on, then press "off". Release buttons. That gets you to the screen test. Press "amb" again and that takes you into the diagnostic mode. "Up" and "Down" buttons take you through the diagnostics, along with "amb", but I haven't got the "addresses" at the moment.

Thx for the feedback guys,

I followed your steps above and came up with the following,

You can have the ignition on and then press "AMP" followed by the "Off" as it also. This also worked for me.

Once in the diagnostic check it will display a tick that all is fine. It then displayed 55 degrees.

1/ I then pressed "AUTO" and number "1" was displayed in the bottom left corner. The unit then displayed 55 degrees.

2/ Then by pressing the up button I believe it lets you check the individual sensors. But I don't know what each number represents.

After the initial pressing of the "UP" button, number "1" was displayed indicating "55" degrees.

3/ Pushing the "Up" button again a number "2" was displayed indicating "28" degrees.

4/ Pushing the "Up" button again the numbers "1" & "2" where displayed indicating "28" degrees.

5/ Pushing the "Up" button again a number "3" indicating 33 degrees.

6/ Pushing the "Up" button again the numbers "1" & "3" where displayed indicating "55" degrees.

7/ Pushing the "Up" button again the numbers "2" & "3" where displayed. It now shows only a numerical reading of "0"

8/ Pushing the "Up" button again the numbers "1" "2" & "3" where displayed. It now shows only a numerical reading of "0"

9/ Pushing the "Up" button again the letter "A" was shown indicating "73".

What each of these readings are for I have no idea. I believe the first four readings are sensor readings. But which sensors? :bang:

The are also a few other checks possible also. But who knows what they are?

I then installed my OLD VR unit and the reading where identical except the VR unit is stuck on an "AMB" reading of "55" before and after starting the car.

The newer unit (VS) is stamped 1998 and actually runs down to "16" degrees where's the VR unit will only go as low as "18" degrees. The VS unit will display the correct "AMB" temp when the reds are on and 9 out 10 times **** itself after starting the car and displayed either "55" or -"30" degrees. ON the odd start a cross is displayed on this unit whilst kicking the car over.

I think both units are faulty :cry: :ranting: :cry: :ranting: :bang: :rip:

Cheers
Struggo

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
interesting. some of this info should be posted in the "howto" section for checking climate control systems.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
My guess would be the control unit is on the blink. Have you looked on Ebay for a replacement unit?