Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs commodore firing on 4 cylinders after intake manifold gasket change.

Scoobs88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs acclaim S1
Checked that so many times... But I never took any plugs off to do the job.

Vncom91

Reaction score
take out the plugs from the non firing cylinders and crank the motor over and see if anything comes out the hole. if by yourself put a piece of cardboard in front so it hits that. Dont continually crank just a few seconds will do. If there is water in there you wont get a spark. Spark plugs could also tell you whats going on if they are wet or are getting fouled.

Scoobs88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs acclaim S1
take out the plugs from the non firing cylinders and crank the motor over and see if anything comes out the hole. if by yourself put a piece of cardboard in front so it hits that. Dont continually crank just a few seconds will do. If there is water in there you wont get a spark. Spark plugs could also tell you whats going on if they are wet or are getting fouled.

Ill give this a try when I get a moment away from work. Thanks for your input so far guys.

Scoobs88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs acclaim S1
Hi guys just an update.
Had to just try something that was in the back of my mind. I had a thought that coz I could hear the injectors clicking away it didn't have anything to do with the prob. But I said f#*k it ill get some from u pull it and try my luck. Well what do you know. Running on all 6 now!!!! :) but it smoking quite a bit from the exhaust now run it maybe 5 mins now but I don't want to up set the neighbors to much. Could this be the fuel that was in the exhaust from running it for a bit only on 4 cylinders trying to find my problem or could this be something else? Never smoked before I did it.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Its mosty likely steam coming from the exhaust. Coolant gets into some of the the cylinders when the manifold is removed, and from there it goes out into the exhaust. If thats actually what it is, then it should evaporate and stop after running the engine above idle for 10 minutes or so.. Ive had the same thing happen whenever Ive replaced the inlet manifold gaskets on these V6's.

Scoobs88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs acclaim S1
Just ran it for about 20 mins and it got a lot better. I guess a good drive would help to get it all out. Thanks for that. She's all sweet now.