Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Commodore, key head not starting car

J.T

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY
I have a flat battery in the Key Head of my car, Unfortunantly only one key. Took it to locksmiths and there is not enough power in it to read code. I learnt to overide it if I leave key in ignition with accesoriews for 45 mins only prob is this has to be done everytime. Does anyone know if the system can be temporarly be overridden without having to wait 45 mins? Or is there some trick I can do to Key? Can't afford to presentlty have it plugged into diagnostics machine to get BCM security code. I have the Security key code on the security sticker is there another way to find out code so locksmith could reprogram it?
Really appreciate your help, J.T.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
fit a new battery in it isnt too hard

kbelt66

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive s2
VS remote

hi JT
the batt cant be replaced mate sorry.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
tell that to all the guys on here who have done it its not direct pull out put one in needs soldering in but is easily doable

tyrone

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH caprice , 2010 Holden CDX Cruze
it may be doable but from what ive herd if its gone dead flat or the battery is removed it loses its program so you still in fact have to pay to get it reprogramed so easier to just get a shiney new key head (i could be wrong of course)

kbelt66

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive s2
yeh you are delcowiz

yep it can be done delcowiz, once you crack the head open cut and prise the battery out of its position
and then solder it backin then superglue everything back together, ( plus make sure all connections are connections).
but why waist all that effort.
just replace the paddlepop, its costs less in the end.

kbelt66

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive s2
no tyrone they do not loose the security code

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
try replacing the key reader from around the ignition barrel.

i am lead to believe the battery in the remote is ONLY for the central locking and not for the code. if a $9 key reader doesn't fix the issue than it may be the key it's self but not the battery. i also work at holden and never replaced the remote due to not starting the car.

also remove the stalk from the key and clean the contacts.

what happens is the car sends a small current through the key reader in to the key head and through Resistance and what not down the key stalk to ground (through the ignition barrel) if this docent match the code in the car it wont start. battery in remote is only for central locking and when button is pushed it disarms the security also.

long post but i would try getting a $9 key reader first

J.T

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY
What voltage battery does the key head take? I will replace the key head but for curiosity and for a second key I wouldn't mind having a go at trying to replace the battery. Thanks, J.T

J.T

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY
Also what is the key reader and where can you get one from?