Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Commodore - Slight Mods?

Mr.38L

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VT MANTA
Heey guys. Recently joined here, have been browsing a bit.

I have a few quick questions, which hopefully shouldn't be too much of a pain :p.

I have recently bought a VSII commodore, Auto, 150,000 ks. etc etc. As i'm on my P plates, i obviously can't do any modifications to the car.

But, what would i need to do an Auto to manual conversion? I'm assuming the RTA wouldn't let me do it as i'm on P plates and it'll require an engineers certificate. (Obviously i'll need a gearbox clutch etc etc etc)

Also, it states in the P Plate legislation that if a model comes with for example a 3.8L ecotec V6 i can swap to another 3.8L ecotec 6.. So would it be legal to take an ecotec block out of a VY commodore and throw it in mine?.

Cheers, Rodd.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
But, what would i need to do an Auto to manual conversion? I'm assuming the RTA wouldn't let me do it as i'm on P plates and it'll require an engineers certificate. (Obviously i'll need a gearbox clutch etc etc etc)

Also, it states in the P Plate legislation that if a model comes with for example a 3.8L ecotec V6 i can swap to another 3.8L ecotec 6.. So would it be legal to take an ecotec block out of a VY commodore and throw it in mine?.

This is for VN-VR, but you will still need all the parts listed.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/complete-vn-vr-manual-conversion-guide.76186

If you use a T5 it will all be legit, and you shouldn't need an engineers cert because it came from factory like that. Get a wreck, that would be the easiest.

I can't see why there would be a problem with swapping motors, they would be exactly the same.

Mr.38L

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VT MANTA
This is for VN-VR, but you will still need all the parts listed.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/complete-vn-vr-manual-conversion-guide.76186

If you use a T5 it will all be legit, and you shouldn't need an engineers cert because it came from factory like that. Get a wreck, that would be the easiest.

I can't see why there would be a problem with swapping motors, they would be exactly the same.

Only part that would be different is that the VY block has 152kw and the VS only has 147.. but then again.. i think the newer VY block would be more economical anyway.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Only part that would be different is that the VY block has 152kw and the VS only has 147.. but then again.. i think the newer VY block would be more economical anyway.

There is no difference between the blocks, or any other part of the engine. The only difference that I've read about is that you will have to drill out a hole for an extra temperature sensor (one to the ECU and one to the temp gauge). The extra 5kw you speak of comes from the different tune used in the VY.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
There should be no issue with the rego. authority (check with the one which applies to be certain) in any state where the manual conversion uses the factory parts. There shouldn't be any need for an engineering report as there is no engineering required - it would be classified as an owner certified conversion in Vic. or NSW and I think ACT.

Notifying the rego. authority of the change will be required.

A VS II manual would have used the Getrag 'box from the factory. A manual conversion using the BW T5 should also be OK.

There are some differences between the exhaust (Y-pipe, cat. location) between VS SI and SII. It's possible that may create some clearance issues if using the T5 with the SII exhaust.

The Getrag 'box uses a hydraulic clutch which means a different pedal box (to T5) and the clutch master cyl. will be needed.

There are some minor differences between the VS SI, VS SII, VT, VX and VY Ecotecs. Some of these include the presence of a fuel canister purge solenoid from VSII-, EGR with VT-, minor changes to the inlet manifold and PCV valve VX-, different injectors across the models.

Strictly speaking, if a later model engine that meets a tougher emissions ADR is fitted to an earlier car, even if ostensibly similar, all the ancilliaries have to fitted with it in order to maintain the emissions compliance. This includes the PCM. In practice you can usually get away with just swapping the engines and hoping that no one can tell the difference.

Mr.38L

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VT MANTA
Thanks for all the help and advice guys!. It's really appreciated!.

My best bet would be a wrecker for the gear box etc yeah?

Also, another quick question, If i wanted to add power windows to my car, i could just goto a wreckers and get a complete system? I'd probably need a new BCM as well tho huh?

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
try not to go to a wrecker try and find someone off here whos selling the manual conversion, they tend to be a little bit more trustworthy, they also come up for sale quite a bit here. also i understand that your not allowed to do any mods because your on your p's that will increase the performace of the engine but im sure you can still do things such as an exhaust and maybe highflow filter with a cai. dont quote me though on these. diff gears is another way to get a lil more out of your car without effecting the power output in any way possible

Mr.38L

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VT MANTA
I'm pretty sure CAI as well as an exhaust etc still adds performance

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I'd probably need a new BCM as well tho huh?

Doubt it. Have a search around, there is a chart which outlines what features were included for each level of BCM.

Dinwoodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Forester GT, ET Turbo Pulsar, VS 5.0L Ute
i understand that your not allowed to do any mods because your on your p's that will increase the performace of the engine but im sure you can still do things such as an exhaust and maybe highflow filter with a cai
Doing this to your car will increase the performance mate