Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Commodores! - Are they really this bad?

sjmcc

Reaction score
Website
www.hawthornweightlifting.com
Members Ride
VS Berlina
So let's see what he has complained about.

Replacement radiator • New air conditioning system • Transmission rebuild • Brakes (several!) • Continuous problems with headlights, brake lights and indicators. • Power steering rebuild • Cylinders rebored and replacement pistons after the water pump broke causing the engine to boil dry • Replacement heating thermostats x 2 • Replacement cam shaft and engine rotor • New muffler • Car key stuck in the ignition (for 3 years!) • New Harmonic balancer • New starter motor

With the exception of the electrics (lights etc) and perhaps the A/C system, all the rest of these problems are caused by:

a) thrashing the f*** out of a car

b) As many other people have said, not looking after your car (i.e servicing)

E.g Transmission rebuild usually occurs as a result of HARD driving and failing to service (flush/change trans fluid).

As has been said before if you look after your car (on the road) and look after it really well servicing wise, you won't encounter too many problems. That's of course if it's a Holden :)

slayer208

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS-II Esteem
Too true!,

This dude must be a total nutsack!!! Excuse the language. lol

Cheers Fellas!

VSHeaven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
Having owned a VS for 10 years I am going to go out on a limb here and say the VS is probably the best model Commodore that Holden produced for its era. Good all round vision, easy to park, feels and handles great for a big car, good fuel consumption, more than enough power(v6) for most drivers. On the reliability front I would say it's as reliable as almost any other car if it's treated with respect. Parts will break but are generally cheap and plentiful. Preventative maintenance is the key combined with a sensible driving mindset. Buying one now is usually a bargain.

202injected

Quality Engine Builder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec. 3.6
hey well at least a cylinder head on V6 doesnt crack from from to back on the first hot day of summer........****coughcough*** ford alloy head***
As an engine reconditioner all the faults this peanut has picked out are common to all cars, when they are not looked after.

slayer208

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS-II Esteem
Got a feeling my old VS II Esteem drives a lot better than the old VR Berlina I used to have. lol. Go the VS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!