Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Coolant leaking from gearbox area

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
Would anybody know whereabouts a leak is likely to stem from when the coolant is leaking down from the gearbox area.I’m tipping it’s the heater core.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If it's coming from the AC drain tube above the transmission then yes the heater core is suspect, if it's coming from the bellhousing (and it's a V6) than it may well be the rear engine plate.
iu

iu

Either the gasket fails or over time the cover corrodes where it covers the water galleries.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr s/wagon
My commodore just had its heater tap replaced as it had a small leak that became worse when the water pump was replaced.

Wayne.

Reactions: Lex

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
So I just read a how to on how to replace the heater core by cutting the brass pipes under the dash.The question is, will the pipes that come through the firewall pull out so as I can flare the pipe where they have been cut?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
So I just read a how to on how to replace the heater core by cutting the brass pipes under the dash.The question is, will the pipes that come through the firewall pull out so as I can flare the pipe where they have been cut?
I've recently done this job. It sucks balls.
I believe the pipes are unbolted from the passenger compartment side of the firewall.
So if you are going that far to unbolt it, then you can replace the core the proper way.

Remember that cutting pipes is creating another potential leak point.
Make sure to orient your house clamps for access while assembled incase they need tightening later.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Those rear main seal / welch plug plates are an absolute dogs breakfast of an idea. If the engine overheats at any stage you can rest assured that you'll develop a coolant leak from that plate area. It's not an economical repair that's for sure and if it's not much more than a few drips overnight then I wouldn't concern myself over it too much.

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
Has anybody doing the cut pipe procedure used or attempted to use compression fittings to join the pipes?

Jasminka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cerise Caprice
Those rear main seal / welch plug plates are an absolute dogs breakfast of an idea. If the engine overheats at any stage you can rest assured that you'll develop a coolant leak from that plate area. It's not an economical repair that's for sure and if it's not much more than a few drips overnight then I wouldn't concern myself over it too much.
Replacing the rear engine plate cost me $1645 back in 2020.

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
Well , I was quoted $1700 to replace the heater core by a radiator shop,insurance renewal reckons the car is valued at $2500.Figure that.Then again it’s going to cost a lot more to buy a new car.