Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Ecotec Modifications/rebuild

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did have VS Berlina now have VT Berlina
Hey (I know this has been covered so many times but mine is a little different)

I have a stock VS Berlina V6 3.8L Auto with 280'***K's on it and it has a ticking sound in the motor now some people have said it could be the cam but i have no clue LOL i want to get a little bit more power then you would out of a stock V6 but i don't want a drag car
here is what i was looking at getting

1)Something like a stage 2 came (because i like the lumpyness sound of them (and hope that will fix the ticking sound )
2)roller rockers not too sure 1.9.1 or 1.98.1 which is better?
3)some lifters?
4)some people have said a {{shift kit}} i don't know much about these what do that do and how they work are they worth getting
5)Manifold insulator & Plenum spacer
6)CAI intake

What do you think ?

Last edited:

Mr.38L

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VT MANTA
The thing you have to watch out for when going for higher ratio rockers and a cam is the amount of lift it will create, too much and you'll start breaking stuff. It depends on the spec of the cam. There's a cam and chip package *i think* on mace's website that will allow the cam and higher ratio rockers.

As the go with shift kits, they boost the pressure in the lines minimising slip and heat, creating a more firmer shift

As for the mace cai, spacer and insulator, i can't talk from experience, but from all the reviews i've seen and all the positive feedback, these products are the go.

I hope i've helped even the slightest bit, but i'm sure Steve will shed some more light on this topic :p

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
As said above, you dont need 1.9 rockers and a cam. Its a matter of picking one or the other. Id definitley get an LSD with gears to compliment the rest of the package

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
The thing you have to watch out for when going for higher ratio rockers and a cam is the amount of lift it will create, too much and you'll start breaking stuff. It depends on the spec of the cam. There's a cam and chip package *i think* on mace's website that will allow the cam and higher ratio rockers.

As the go with shift kits, they boost the pressure in the lines minimising slip and heat, creating a more firmer shift

As for the mace cai, spacer and insulator, i can't talk from experience, but from all the reviews i've seen and all the positive feedback, these products are the go.

I hope i've helped even the slightest bit, but i'm sure Steve will shed some more light on this topic :p

1.98.1 Rockers are a safe ratio and won't cause excessive lift and valve float which will cause damage to the motor...These rockers are designed to work on a stock cam, not a newer one (even though there are upgraded/more aggressive cams which can be paired with the higher ratio).
This being said, I'd go a different/more aggressive cam which alters timing as well which always unlocks more power. However, these are not bolt on, they do require a bit of work to get in, not to mention a new tune.

MACE

Reaction score
Hey Darcy,

In regards to the ticking sound, assuming that it's not a leaky exhaust manifold gasket, and that your engine hasn't spun a bearing, it would most likely be a lazy lifter. You can try an oil flush with some lifter free but that may cause more problems then good given the number of ks, as it may disturb too much internal gunk build up potentially blocking up critical oil galleries. You can do it though but you have to be very thorougher and would probably have to do an oil flush several times in a short period.

Another option would be to run longer pushrods, or if you're on a tighter budget, you can linish down the rocker pedestals. What this does is that it increases the amount of lifter crush, often curing a lazy lifter.

If the above still doesn't work then a new set of lifters are in order.

In regards to internal mods, given the number of K's I would recommend sticking with a set of 1.9:1 ratio rockers. The good thing about our rockers is that they have more lifter crush then the factory rockers, often making the valve train noise quieter then previously.

This aside, all the other mods you suggested a would work well.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Steve.

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay even if i don't get a stage 2 cam is there a package that comes with a cam and rockers i don't really care what cam it is as long as it's better then the stock one and im not to fussed about the price

MACE

Reaction score
Okay even if i don't get a stage 2 cam is there a package that comes with a cam and rockers i don't really care what cam it is as long as it's better then the stock one and im not to fussed about the price

Well you could always go for a stage 2 crow cam and chip package and run a set of 1.9:1 ratio rocker with. Have had very good success with this combo with appropriate valve spring and retianer upgrade.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Steve

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay so i kinda have a new plan LOL i have just bought a VX engine off ebay for $50 hope to pick it up in the next day or to holden motor vt vx v6 (eBay item 270764374379 end time 17-Jun-11 14:10:04 AEST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats i still plan to rebuild this motor now but i can do it over a number of months while i get the money to buy all the parts and still be able to drive the car at the same time

(stage 2 crow cam and chip package and run a set of 1.9:1 ratio rocker with. Have had very good success with this combo with appropriate valve spring and retianer upgrade. )
that looks like the way to go is there anything else i have to change besides the gaskets and how much $$ would i be looking at with this set up ?

Last edited:

MACE

Reaction score
Okay so i kinda have a new plan LOL i have just bought a VX engine off ebay for $50 hope to pick it up in the next day or to holden motor vt vx v6 (eBay item 270764374379 end time 17-Jun-11 14:10:04 AEST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats i still plan to rebuild this motor now but i can do it over a number of months while i get the money to buy all the parts and still be able to drive the car at the same time
Good price!

(stage 2 crow cam and chip package and run a set of 1.9:1 ratio rocker with. Have had very good success with this combo with appropriate valve spring and retianer upgrade. )
that looks like the way to go is there anything else i have to change besides the gaskets and how much $$ would i be looking at with this set up ?

You'll need different valve springs, retainers and stem seals to give you clearance and reliable operation given the amount of lift. It would also be highly recommended that you run a double row rollmaster timing chain set. The good thing about the latter is that is does away with the chain tensioner which have been know to break apart and end up in the pickup :( In regards to pricing, if you're planning on purchasing a number of items we can often do better then retail.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Steve

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Stage 2 Cam shaft with chip package
Dual row Timing chain
132lb Springs
LS1 Push rods
Modified retainers
Valve seals