Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS electric fan

w1r3d

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
Hi guys,
Does anyone know if this fan is used by the air con and the heating system? It's installed infront of what i assume is a air con radiator. I ask as the air con system has been deactivated to make room for a supercharger and i am now making room for a oil cooler.
Any help is greatly appreciated

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
V6 or V8? That's the condenser the fan is used to help cool it when the AC is on.

w1r3d

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
It's a converted 195i 304 from a vt into a 1996 S pac. I thought it was part of just the air con system but i am not an expert. So as the air con pump was removed to fit a vortech blower. I should be able to pull the condenser and fan unit out?? Who would give me loads of room for an engine oil cooler with fan.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
What I would is take off the clutch driven fan. Easy job. On the VS clubby I had I put a big single thermo fan from an FG. Never ran hot. Shorter bolts on water pump. Use the redundant AC fan wiring for the fan and get the tune altered to suit.

I would get a big transmission cooler before an engine oil cooler though.

w1r3d

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
I already have a dual thermo fan i guess from a au ford. Thanks for the help i will rip out the old air con parts this weekend.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well in that case yep rip out the AC fan. Like I said though. You need a transmission cooler before you need an engine oil cooler. Assuming it's auto of course. I don't think most people bother with engine oil coolers on the old 5 litres.

w1r3d

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
Yep it's a T5. I hear what your saying about the tranny.
However i noticed on my drive from Brisbane to Alice Springs that when i pushed her up to 150kph and above the temp raised and when i dropped down to 110 the temp dropped and settled. I plan on using the ute on trips either north to Darwin or south to Adelaide both roughly 1500 kms and we have open speed limits.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah yeah well then scratch the trans cooler idea. Not that it should be a problem but depending on the size of the cooler make sure you have a thermostat setup.

Got a pic of the thermo fan setup?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
However i noticed on my drive from Brisbane to Alice Springs that when i pushed her up to 150kph and above the temp raised and when i dropped down to 110 the temp dropped and settled. I plan on using the ute on trips either north to Darwin or south to Adelaide both roughly 1500 kms and we have open speed limits.

If you are running at those sorts of speeds, a fan isn't going to make any difference to the temperature as the airflow at speed through the radiator at speed is far more than any fan can provide. Since the A/C condenser and fan normally sit ahead of the radiator, when you remove them completely you will get better airflow through the radiator which should help your cooling at those high speeds. However, good luck driving in the summer time without a working A/C - you will dehydrate mighty fast !!!