Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs exhaust system question, making it myself. (not the cat)

mitchy_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn s pack 5spd/ vs calais S1
Hi, have a question. This might have already been posted but had a quick look n haven't found what I was looking for, or I have missed it.

My vs Calais atm has stock exhaust. I want to make it louder and had a thought.
the exhaust has a rear muffler, muffler in the middle of the car, then the cat, then the extractors.
if I take out the middle muffler and put a str8 pipe in between, this would change the sound,
is this the same as a exhaust system you'll buy? like premade blot on ones?
(also I know for a better sound change the cat).

but changing the middle muffler to a str8 pipe I was told car will go faster n have a better sound, is this correct?, and I was also told if u leave the middle muffler and take out the rear one and put str8 pipe, you'll change the sound also but have no back pressure so you'll lose power.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Remove the rear muffler will make it drone - badly. We all did this about 15 years ago when the first lot of rear mufflers burnt out. This was great for about 500kms of open road travel - but the wife and I got real tired of it in no time. (I now run rear mufflers on both my V6 VN's).

On the V8 VN I run a redback exhaust (off Ebay 3 years ago) with no rear muffler - just the centre unit and 2 1/2 pipe. Sounds nice and makes a reasonable note for cheap.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hi, have a question. This might have already been posted but had a quick look n haven't found what I was looking for, or I have missed it.

My vs Calais atm has stock exhaust. I want to make it louder and had a thought.
the exhaust has a rear muffler, muffler in the middle of the car, then the cat, then the extractors.
if I take out the middle muffler and put a str8 pipe in between, this would change the sound,
is this the same as a exhaust system you'll buy? like premade blot on ones?
(also I know for a better sound change the cat).

but changing the middle muffler to a str8 pipe I was told car will go faster n have a better sound, is this correct?, and I was also told if u leave the middle muffler and take out the rear one and put str8 pipe, you'll change the sound also but have no back pressure so you'll lose power.

Modifying the stock exhaust system wont do much for performance in your case, unless you're bolting in a rear mount turbo.

Most of the systems you buy now days are mandrel bent, versus press or draw through bending like the factory supplies.
This means better flowing bends, so putting a piece of tube in place of a muffler doesnt automatically make it 'just like the aftermarket ones'

The common one seems to be to put a hotdog in place of the rear muffler.
But they're only $60, why not experiment and put one in the middle instead?

Let us know how you go

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
I used to have the Cat, Hotdog and then rear muffler on a lukey exhaust system (Manual) and it gave a real throaty sound with only a small amount of drone when using 2nd to pull to a stop.

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Remove the rear muffler will make it drone - badly. We all did this about 15 years ago when the first lot of rear mufflers burnt out. This was great for about 500kms of open road travel - but the wife and I got real tired of it in no time. (I now run rear mufflers on both my V6 VN's).

On the V8 VN I run a redback exhaust (off Ebay 3 years ago) with no rear muffler - just the centre unit and 2 1/2 pipe. Sounds nice and makes a reasonable note for cheap.

How do the V6 VN's sound with the rear resi on? I've got a VR (very similar engine to the VN) with no rear resi, sounds great at idle and when cruising along at say 40 - 70kmh, but i get drone from around 2000-3000 rpm. May chuck on a rear resi in future.

As for your question mitchy, maybe make yourself a 2.5" pipe from the cat back. Seeing as you're making it yourself, you could try it with no rear resi at first, if you're finding there's too much drone for your liking, throw on a rear resi again.

mitchy_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
hrmm il try sooon taking out middel muffler, see how it sounds, maby add a cat in, stil sounds ****,, then il hav to buy exhaust or get myself some 2.5" pipe like Bizmark said n see if i can make it lol once i get the middle muffler out first il youtube and shows yous all how it sounds !! :)

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
hrmm il try sooon taking out middel muffler, see how it sounds, maby add a cat in, stil sounds ****,, then il hav to buy exhaust or get myself some 2.5" pipe like Bizmark said n see if i can make it lol once i get the middle muffler out first il youtube and shows yous all how it sounds !! :)

Add a cat in? Huh?

mitchy_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
at a cat in ,, i mean lik replace the stock one with a aftermarket one lol

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Go get some mild steel steam pipe and some bends and mufflers and start tacking the stuff together. Its great fun.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Because of the firing order of the cylinders, you can NEVER get a decent exhaust sound from a GMH V6. You can try, waste money and time but will always have something that just drones and is annoying to both passenger and general public. Grow up - you'll get over it then.