Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs front spring removal

adrian123443

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs Berlina
My mate reckons he used a bunch of zip ties instead of spring compressors, but apparently you can get away without needing them, i've only ever done rear springs

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
Bullshit. Show me some evidence where people have been killed removing springs.

The springs are retained by the car, there is absolutely no chance the spring can fly out. 40 minutes to replace both front and rear springs, start to finish.

It is actually more dangerous to use spring compressors as they can slip if you haven't got them on properly.

from what i can gather,your talking about undoing the tops while its all still in the car,you couldnt undo it all once you had removed it complete from the car without compressors as a standard spring would more than likely take your head off...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
from what i can gather,your talking about undoing the tops while its all still in the car,you couldnt undo it all once you had removed it complete from the car without compressors as a standard spring would more than likely take your head off...

Yes you can, undo the main nut, remove the plate then undo the next nut. Jack the car up slowly until the spring decompresses, there is no tension on anything and nothing can fly out.

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
yeah thats what i was meaning when i said "from what i can gather,your talking about undoing the tops while its all still in the car",
where i said "you couldnt undo it all once you had removed it complete from the car without compressors as a standard spring would more than likely take your head off",i meant it as,if you took the complete spring and shock out as one with it NOT undone like the way you suggested,it would take your head off if you then undid it

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Bullshit. Show me some evidence where people have been killed removing springs.

The springs are retained by the car, there is absolutely no chance the spring can fly out. 40 minutes to replace both front and rear springs, start to finish.

It is actually more dangerous to use spring compressors as they can slip if you haven't got them on properly.

"Bullshit"you reckon,What a stupid naive attitude to have,just goes to show why people do get injured/killed sometimes.Ive seen a couple of newspaper reports over the years where a car spring has killed someone when theyve tried to remove them without the proper tools.Yeah,Its rare, but the point is it can still happen...especially if the person attempting the work is inexperienced.The only way spring compressors can be dangerous is if they are not fitted properly or not used properly ,or if the operator tries to compress the spring too far,the springs only need to be compressed enough to take the tension off the top mount so the piston rod nut can be loosened and removed...Ive used a few different types of spring compressors over the years and I have never had a problem with any of them..This reminds me of this guy who worked fitting truck tyres,he was told to pump them up in the steel cage so that if the steel locking ring flies off,then he wont get hurt or worse,this guy used to say,ah,shes right,ive done it heaps of times and never used the cage whilst pumping the tyres up,so shes all good,next thing he was killed by a locking ring that flew off.Theres always someone who doesnt listen...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
yeah thats what i was meaning when i said "from what i can gather,your talking about undoing the tops while its all still in the car",
where i said "you couldnt undo it all once you had removed it complete from the car without compressors as a standard spring would more than likely take your head off",i meant it as,if you took the complete spring and shock out as one with it NOT undone like the way you suggested,it would take your head off if you then undid it

I reread what you wrote, yep, know what you meant now.

97VSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE
Hey these are the results

RIMG2188.jpg

RIMG2191.jpg