Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs fuel tank

sinfulvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vh commodore SLX
ok I know I have seen topics of this on here but can't seem to find them I just picked up a vs acclaim V6 fuel tank for my vh to replace the rusted out one and I know something has to be changed but I can't remember what it was and are the tank straps the same

spauldj308

S Pack Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S sedan 5L, VSII ute
The VS has an in tank pump, perhaps?

sinfulvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vh commodore SLX
so no one can help me I guess they really don't fit then guess I will be hunting for an original tank again then

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I've got a VN 80L tank in my VH

just have to cut the filler neck down to fit
change your sender unit connector
and if the Aclaim had IRS (which I'm fairly sure they do) you just need to use your VH straps

sinfulvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vh commodore SLX
how do I go about the sender unit as the vs one has a bigger plug and vh has a single wire and how did you hook up the two pipes at the sender unit cause my vh has one pipe and vs has 2 coming out of it

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I just cut a plug off a VN (in my case) at the wreckers and soldered in place of the VH connector on my car.
I'd have to have a look at my wiring diagrams again to figure out which wire is the actual sender terminal on the sender. But it's easy

One pipe in the sender is a supply and the other is a return. Just plug off the return pipe if you don't want to use it.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
What about the internal pump? if your running a carbie setup youll need to remove it and make a tube so its still has a low pickup point.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
^good point, I forgot about that, I've got EFI so I hooked up the pumps

but even with a carb it's not such a bad idea to use the pickup pump. VL 5L carb had an internal pickup pump to make for easier starting and minimised the chances of vapour lock as the fuel is continually circulated so it keeps cooler

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
use a vl rb30 internal pump or a vn series 1 internal pump.
These are a low pressure lift pump which is also the exact same part number as used in vl carby v8 to alleviate the hard to start problem due to how long it takes the mechanical pump to get fuel up to the carby after the cars been sitting for a while.

dags061

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer 253, VH SL 185 pack 253
I have just installed a V6 VS tank into my Vh and used the VS straps as they are a bit bigger than the VH ones.I have left the internal fuel pump in the tank and have not connected it.i just rewired the sender unit and the reason i got one was that it has a return line on the sender unit and i needed one as i am now running a 253 and thought it may save a bit of fuel.I find it hard to fill the tank as it fills up the filling pipe very quickly.only cost my $40 from my local wreckers.