Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS has a sound coming from rear wheels or diff?

Holden chik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS S2
The best way I can describe the noise is as I drive faster it sounds like an aeroplane taking off coming from rear of car & as I slow down it sounds like a plane coming in to land.. seems to be a bit louder when car has warmed up a bit. Have had suggestions that maybe needs a top up or new diff oil? Otherwise rear wheel bearings?
Thoughts?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Sounds more like a wheel bearing, from what side is the noise more prevalent ?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Could be tyres depending on age.
There is a rectangle of numbers, or 4 numbers on the tyre side.
First 2 are week with last 2 being year. eg 2117 would be 21st week in 2017.
If they are run down, try shifting front to rear and rear to front, and see if the noise goes to the front.
Diff oil is certainly worth checking.
To do this, remove bung/plug on rear cover and place small finger inside and turn it down.
If finger comes out not covered in oil the top up required.
Easy to do, just buy bottle of diff oil preferably with squirter tube on top, and fill until it runs out, then replace bung.
Mind you, if diff oil is way under, diff could be rs.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
As above, check the easiest thing first that been the diff oil. Most likely it's never been changed.

If you can play tune (alter the sound) by applying and removing throttle/power than it would suggest a worn diff (either gears or pinion bearings). I'd try some 80w-140 heavy duty diff oil first, drain the old stuff and refill until it flows out of the filler hole. BTW this diff oil stinks, don't get any on yourself or your clothes unless you like people to know you worked on the diff.

Holden chik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS S2
Could be tyres depending on age.
There is a rectangle of numbers, or 4 numbers on the tyre side.
First 2 are week with last 2 being year. eg 2117 would be 21st week in 2017.
If they are run down, try shifting front to rear and rear to front, and see if the noise goes to the front.
Diff oil is certainly worth checking.
To do this, remove bung/plug on rear cover and place small finger inside and turn it down.
If finger comes out not covered in oil the top up required.
Easy to do, just buy bottle of diff oil preferably with squirter tube on top, and fill until it runs out, then replace bung.
Mind you, if diff oil is way under, diff could be rs.

Rear tyres are near new, my thoughts is Diff oil, will be checking that, thanks.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Drain your diff oil and fill it with some 140 lsd oil. You will need to warm the oil up in the bottle before you pump it in or you have a job getting it to flow.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Collect the old oil and let it settle for and hour before pouring it off. Look at the residue in the sun and check for shiny particles which could suggest a worn pinion bearing.

Holden chik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS S2
As above, check the easiest thing first that been the diff oil. Most likely it's never been changed.

If you can play tune (alter the sound) by applying and removing throttle/power than it would suggest a worn diff (either gears or pinion bearings). I'd try some 80w-140 heavy duty diff oil first, drain the old stuff and refill until it flows out of the filler hole. BTW this diff oil stinks, don't get any on yourself or your clothes unless you like people to know you worked on the diff.

From the state of most other things I have fixed & replaced on my car I am inclined to agree that its likely never been changed.
And yes that is correct that the sound comes & goes along with being on or off the throttle, makes the winding up sound while on it & the opposite while car is slowing down. Thanks for you advice on what to get & not to get it on myself lol.

Holden chik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS S2
Collect the old oil and let it settle for and hour before pouring it off. Look at the residue in the sun and check for shiny particles which could suggest a worn pinion bearing.

Ok cool thanks will check that after I do it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just had a thought need to make sure your diff is not one of the funny SS diffs that uses normal 140 with the holden additive. Im pretty sure the vs is prior to needing the special additve.