Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS headunit and speakers

LeFtBehinD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Esteem SII
I just stumbled across this forum the other day and you all seem pretty cool :p

Was wondering if someone could give me any advice. Ive just gotten my first car, a VS Commodore about 2 months ago and was looking to install a headunit and speakers.

Ive had a little look around and JB Hifi has one of the later Pioneer headunits with the iPod adapter for $498. Sorta the same as that http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/car_entertainment/cdtuners/dehp5750mp/index.html but with OEL display.

Im also planning to put 6x9" speakers in the back but am unsure about the front. Do they make enough difference to justify the cost? Or would it sound weird to have good speakers in the back with just stock ones in the front? Ive heard ppl talking about how u can put the tweaters of a split under the air vent but i havnt actually had a look at it.

Oh and prob dont wanna spend much over $700

Basically just any advice or recommendations would be great. I hate trying to buy something when u know little about it and dont wanna get screwed.

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I would honestly upgarde the front speakers FIRST thats where YOU the driver gets the majority of your sound fromand yes, I recommend using a split in the front with the tweeter under the airvent.

The VS is designed to handle 6" in the rear parcel shelf. They work pretty good as well. There is a fair bit of bass to be had from 6" all round. I honestly wouldn't goto the effort of dropping in 6x9's especially if you want to add a subwoofer at some point in time.

LeFtBehinD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Esteem SII
Thing is I dont think i wanna get a subwoofer. I went and measured the parcel shelf the other day and do ppl actually fit 6x9's in there? Cause as u probably know its got a dip down for the child restraint handles and its only about 9inches across.

Im saving a bit more money so ill be able to get new speakers for the front and back, just a matter of deciding on what type.

If anyone else has gotten 6" or 6x9's in there VS could you let me know how they go?

Thanks..

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
6" in the rar pump hard. trust me on that one...I nearly fell over the when the VS came out and I dropped a CD Player into it without upgarding the speakers. People swore i was running a 10"

6x9's fit if you turn them around 90 degrees as well....But, beware. You will need ti cut into the metal parcel shelf below to get the good bass response from them and this will make the car illegal.

LeFtBehinD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Esteem SII
Ok well sounds 6" would be my best bet.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

thanks trunkrattler.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Try about 80% of Modified VRVS owners ;)

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
what are the sizes of all the speakers in a VS Berlina and is there any other speakers or tweeters in the car, there are 2 little speakers on top of the dash in the corners but no sound come out of them are they tweeters??
:hit:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
They are all the same....6" right the way around....

As for the two tweeters, are you sure they are actually there? If no sound is coming out then you have blown them. Buy a new set of 6" Splits and you can replace them at the sametime as the tweeter is the "Split" Part of the system.

LeFtBehinD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Esteem SII
Just got a quote from JB HIFI and the guy there actually recommended putting in 6x9s normally cause i wasnt interested in a subwoofer. He says they do it alot and fits fine.

So atm im looking at

- Pioneer headunit + iPod Adapter
- 6x9 JL 3-way speakers
- 6" splits JL

plus installation for $1196

Jeff T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Is there any reason that you're not interested in getting a sub?

For $1200 you can get a pretty decent system with a sub.

E.g.
-JVC KD-G615 Head unit ~250
-Jaycar 4x100 amp ~300
-Jaycar 6.5" Kevlar splits ~150
-Wiring ~80
-Pioneer 305C 12" sub with box ~200
-Leave rear speakers as stock

That's $980 and leaving a couple of hundred for the install and maybe some sound deadening if there's enough cash left over.

Should sound a lot better than just splits and 6x9s running off a head unit.