Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Heater/Air con fan issues

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Hey guys,

Read through most of the Air con stuff but couldn't find this exact problem. My air con works fine, but the fan works about 50% of the time. With no fan I can't get the cold air to blow :(. My mechanic said it could be the fan unit itself which means the whole dash has to come out. I'm hoping it may be something simpler. Fuses etc seem ok. Any ideas? I've been driving round with the fan "on" all the time now and it seems to work at random - I drove for 30 minutes and it didn't work at all. Next drive it started straight away and ran the aircon for 2 hours straight....

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
What mine was doing might be the same but mine has climate control.
It would be blowing on my face all nice and cold and suddenly would stop blowing, turned out to be the vacuum solenoid which is situated below the radio behind the console fascia.
Replaced it and all is perfect now.
Check out this thread might help.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...climate-control-mode-question.html#post980819

cheers SW

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Thanks guys. It's a 95 basic VS ( no ABS, Airbags etc ) so it doesn't have climate control. I'm kinda hoping there is a dodgey wire/switch or something causing the problem.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Could be a tricky one. I would try hako's suggestion of replacing the fan speed resistor. Even if it doesnt fix the problem it will prevent other problems in the future. That one will set you back $50.

I would get a multimeter, get some alligator probes on the end. Connect to the fan (just need to remove the glove compartment and a plastic panel or two). You will then measure the voltage on the fan. Drive around, when the fan is turned on but not working, check the multimeter voltage reading. If there is power there, but the fan isnt on, you know it will be the fan. If there is no power the fan isnt to blame.

Actually check relays too. Relay might just be a bit sticky. Swap the relay called the 'ignition relay'. It has nothing to do with the ignition, but the interior fan.

Also try giving the dash a bit of a hit when the fan isnt working and see if that fixes the problem.

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
So the crazy heat in Adelaide finally took it's toll and I got this checked out by an Auto Electrician. Turns out it was an $18 Relay - $53 all up with labour. Stoked. Only problem now is, as soon as I left the place my car starting running rough - backfiring on petrol and LPG and breaking down when I put my foot down. I took it back and they said the Relay was nothing to do with the car running bad - just coincidence. It makes sense but I can't beleive the bad timing. I drove the car 50km this morning with a Trailer on the back and it ran fine. A similar thing happened a while back and it was a Coil pack. Anyone know if the VT coil packs are the same as VS? My brother has some spare VT packs.

Thanks

Hodz91

CRuiZn..Lookn 4 A.B Cover
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Berlina
Its most likely resistors or wiring...

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
So the crazy heat in Adelaide finally took it's toll and I got this checked out by an Auto Electrician. Turns out it was an $18 Relay - $53 all up with labour. Stoked. Only problem now is, as soon as I left the place my car starting running rough - backfiring on petrol and LPG and breaking down when I put my foot down. I took it back and they said the Relay was nothing to do with the car running bad - just coincidence. It makes sense but I can't beleive the bad timing. I drove the car 50km this morning with a Trailer on the back and it ran fine. A similar thing happened a while back and it was a Coil pack. Anyone know if the VT coil packs are the same as VS? My brother has some spare VT packs.

Thanks

Check the codes - hopefully the problem left a fault code:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307